Anyone NOT Using a 40 pin Socket?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Anyone NOT Using a 40 pin Socket?

Post by Tjabo »

Between their V3 board and MS3 daughterboard?

I realized last night that without that socket in there I DEFINITELY had enough room inside the standard case to get this thing closed and sealed back up (with some extra cuts in the front cover for the USB and the SD card slot).

The problem I had getting the MS3 daughtercard seated last time I messed with this was the mounting clips that hold the USB onto the PCB were too tall and were gouging into the top of the DB9 connector. So, this time I cut those off, and tried again. I still can't seat the MS3 card.

Thus my question in the subject line.

I do think that I'm very close to having the standard case closed now though, so I'm going out to the garage to relieve the area in the top of the case where the USB interferes with closing the case, and I think I'll have it--even with the 40 pin socket standing the MS3 daughtercard up a little higher than it otherwise would need to.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Anyone NOT Using a 40 pin Socket?

Post by jsmcortina »

As far as I'm concerned, the 40 pin socket spacer AND a taller case are required.

Even if the USB socket was shallower, there wouldn't be space to plug a cable into the expansion pin headers.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm not sure but I don't think there is enough space in the standard case to have the MS3X board or at least both DB37 connectors on the end plate.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Jean's right. With the standard case and standard board placement there isn't space to fit the MS3X as well.

It _would_ have been possible when using the normal MAP sensor to have installed the V3 board one slot lower and then the MS3 and MS3X would fit without mods. However, the standard end plates mount the board higher to allow room for a 3 or 4bar upgrade and then there's no space at the top.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

If we can mount the main PWA one slot lower (by removing the MAP sensor), why don't we do that? I'd rather run an additional wire from under the hood (for MAP) than a hose. Besides that, there are a multitude of MAP sensors available for under hood installation. That's how I did my Ramjet ZZ-383. Sure, many people will have to buy new MAP sensors but hey.. this whole MS3/MS3X thing IS an upgrade. One could pick up a used MAP sensor for the cost of a new case.
1979 Camaro
383 stroker w/Ramjet EFI manifold
MS2 Extra running semi-sequential, wasted spark
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The standard MPX4250 fits ok, with the board a slow lower. trouble is that then the cutouts in the endplates are wrong...

James

roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

Okay, then we could change the endplates only. Right?
1979 Camaro
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Alright guys, I guess I was more bothered by having this fine piece of equipment slopping around in my ridiculous car, so I decided to come up with an interim solution until the MS3Xes are out (at which time I'll need to get a 400 series case of some sort, hopefully by then a pre-made one from DIYautotune).

So, when all is said and done, I probably spent a couple of hours on this, but I think it's worth it. Here is my inglorious solution:

--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
roarin_mouse
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by roarin_mouse »

It looks pretty creative but it has a low "loveliness-factor".
1979 Camaro
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Agreed, and it looks similarly superfantastic in the car, too! :lol:

muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Your installs look a lot better than mine. Mine are set up for easy access and removal.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Not that this looks good, but it probably is even less good than it looks. . . :?

I can have it out and taken apart easily in 5 minutes. I've gotten kind of fond of loading code and other stuff on the stim, so I too wanted it to be pretty easy in and out. The main thing was to not have it flopping around when I'm out driving around in this uncivilized car, and this does the trick!

Thad
aarc240
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aarc240 »

OT I know, but the 400 case isn't an issue whereas sealing the SD card slot and the USB socket is!

I've found an SD card receiver that is sealed which _might_ fit and together with a rubber gasket against the end plate should be good.
A waterproof/dustproof USB socket in quantities less than 100 units is harder so any suggested sources would be appreciated muchly.
Sealed DB connectors are already on hand, LEDs hide behind an acrylic window, end plates have thin silicon gaskets and case halves are silicon sealed.

ANY suggestions re sealing would be welcome.

On topic, I suspect the 40 pin socket is going to have to get some attention to ensure physical ruggedness along with a few other things - 5 foot of air followed by a landing 40 foot down the road tends to dislodge things!
Art,
Datsun 260z 2/2 with 280z/MS3+/5spd for the road
Datsun 240z with 280z. nearing the road again
Nissan E24 Urvan with 260z/Megajolt/5spd parts hauler - sold
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

If you look at the ms3 board pics you will see holes that line up with holes already on the v3 board. Screws will attach one board to the other providing a very solid setup.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
aarc240
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aarc240 »

No problem, I expect to do some extra 'ruggedising' after cracking a MOTEC 600 board.
The MS2 in our road 260z has small rubber pillars under the board 'just in case'.
Art,
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Ahh... If you're going around cracking boards I can understand the concern!

It's always interesting to see how people are using the hardware/code!

Ken
Eagle7
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Eagle7 »

aarc240 wrote:5 foot of air followed by a landing 40 foot down the road tends to dislodge things!
:D
thedge
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by thedge »

aarc240 wrote:OT I know, but the 400 case isn't an issue whereas sealing the SD card slot and the USB socket is!

I've found an SD card receiver that is sealed which _might_ fit and together with a rubber gasket against the end plate should be good.
A waterproof/dustproof USB socket in quantities less than 100 units is harder so any suggested sources would be appreciated muchly.
Sealed DB connectors are already on hand, LEDs hide behind an acrylic window, end plates have thin silicon gaskets and case halves are silicon sealed.

ANY suggestions re sealing would be welcome.

On topic, I suspect the 40 pin socket is going to have to get some attention to ensure physical ruggedness along with a few other things - 5 foot of air followed by a landing 40 foot down the road tends to dislodge things!
These are slightly bulky but work well. You need to buy the cable as well, the USB cable screws into the panel connector.

http://www.mouser.com/catalog/catalogUSD/639/1243.pdf
1986 Porsche 944 Turbo
2.7 liter MID sleeved big bore, Wossner pistons, Vitesse Stage 2 turbo, coilovers, various weight deletes, and loads of other stuff.
aarc240
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by aarc240 »

Those sealed USB panel mounts are just what is needed, ordered a couple to test.
thanks
Art,