Det Cans for Spark Tuning

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Det Cans for Spark Tuning

Post by Kurt A »

Kurt A wrote:I picked up a sheilded audio extension cable and some solder in audio jacks from Circiut City. On an audio cable which part of the jack would be power supply.
Kurt, I couldn't have given you any better answers than you got from the other guys (if AS good), since I don't know the answer. I just followed the connections through the connector to make sure that I have it consistent from part to part, and I have no reason to believe that I did it correctly. . . It works for my limited purpose though!

Thad[/quote]
Cool, I performed wiring task as outlined by the obliging posts above, reluctantly pluged the unit in to my laptop and tapped on the sensor and low and behold I got sound! Now when and if the Ebay spy ear ever gets here I will be in tuning business.
Kurt
Rotax 912 turbo'd under construction MS2 Extra
2005 Mustang GT, turbo'd, aluminum heads, MS2 Extra
1928 Ford Coupe, 545BBF,671 blower, Squirted by MS2 extra 3.1.0, V3.0 Board
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

An MS'er on the Neon board "Opel" was using his laptop as his amplifier, so you could be in business already, without the SpyEar. Plug your headphones into the laptop and give 'er a shot! (If that's not what you already did that is)

Thad
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yeah, that was cool because he was able to post the recording online for everyone to hear. Most of us had no idea what we would be listening for, but it was pretty clear on his recording.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Tjabo wrote:An MS'er on the Neon board "Opel" was using his laptop as his amplifier, so you could be in business already, without the SpyEar. Plug your headphones into the laptop and give 'er a shot! (If that's not what you already did that is)

Thad
I am going to have to play around with the lap top settings a bit. If I record the sound I have sound during play back but I do not have realtime sound and record at the same time. Hmmmmm
Kurt
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Screencasting software.. I looked into doing this at one point, but the drivers in windows were fighting me.. Couldn't get my mic to work reliably.
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
RickRST
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by RickRST »

The way i have found to be useful, is to plug the mic straight into the laptop and record the output using Goldwave (free). Goldwave can then peform a bandpass filter in the frequency area you are interested in, which depends on the bore size of the engine but works very well.

Rick
grahn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by grahn »

I used program called Audacity to listen engine using microphone attached to crocodile clip. With it I could listen and record at the same time. Have tried it only once though and that time it was just to make sure that there is no knock when tuning VE table. So not much real life experience yet.

Interested now to try the same thing using knock sensor...
Kurt A
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Kurt A »

Ok, Spy Ear is here and I have it modded. I managed to tuck a 1/8 jack inside the unit so all is plug and play. Tested it out and unit is crystal clear. I got the cable a little to close to the coil wire and got some buzz. Other than that I can lay it across anywhere on the eng and only here the area that I am listening to. Works like a charm.
Kurt