Upgrade path from MSI to MSII to MSIII

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

milo
MS/Extra Newbie

Upgrade path from MSI to MSII to MSIII

Post by milo »

I've done a search and seen the two upgrade posts and read the upgrade doc but I'd like opinions on weather I should hold off until MSIII comes out or start with MSII and upgrade to the MSIII board when it's available. I'm not trying to be the "is it done yet?" kid in the back seat.

My primary reason for waiting for MSIII is ignition control with COP. In fact, that's a huge part of why I want to go to MS in the first place. I know I can cobble it together with Ignition drivers and a pair of EDIS drivers but I'd rather use what seems like a more complete system in MSIII. However, I could simply switch to an EDIS non COP system on MSII for now if the upgrade path is not so massive, or if MSIII is a long way out on testing.

Additionally I'd be very happy to contribute to testing, and I have read that DIYautotune is getting some MSIII beta boards in place. I have a BMW M10 just itching for EFI.

Ok so basically the question is wait for MSIII or start with MSII and upgrade when the kinks are worked out. I don't mind kinks, it's not my primary car, but it does run as is so I am not necessarily in a hurry.

Thanks,
Milo
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Upgrade path from MSI to MSII to MSIII

Post by Tjabo »

I *think* one question that may be pertinent to your decision would be whether your intended coils have their own ignitors in them or not? If they don't, then you probably may as well start building, since you'll need to build in the high current coil drivers. (the electronic geniuses on here will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong about that)

On the other hand though, you'll need to build at least a secondary input circuit for a cam input that you won't have to build if you wait for the MS3 release. . . Unless you want to run wasted spark with your COPs for now. . . ? I think I shouldn't have tried to answer this question. :oops:
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

On a four or six cylinder, you can run COP with the existing MS2/Extra, or even MS1/Extra code. It will need a cam sensor and a crank sensor to do this, no matter what processor you go with (unless you go with a missing tooth cam wheel, although that won't be as accurate).
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
milo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by milo »

Matt Cramer wrote:On a four or six cylinder, you can run COP with the existing MS2/Extra, or even MS1/Extra code. It will need a cam sensor and a crank sensor to do this, no matter what processor you go with (unless you go with a missing tooth cam wheel, although that won't be as accurate).
Ok, I need to read the manual more. Thanks!
Tjabo wrote: On the other hand though, you'll need to build at least a secondary input circuit for a cam input that you won't have to build if you wait for the MS3 release. . . Unless you want to run wasted spark with your COPs for now. . . ? I think I shouldn't have tried to answer this question. :oops:
This is helpful, I specifically don't want to run wasted spark.
jabran200
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jabran200 »

scratch that, found out I can upgrade to a ms3 from a ms1 v3.0.
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Scratched. . .
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

jabran200 wrote:scratch that, found out I can upgrade to a ms3 from a ms1 v3.0.
Yep, that's exactly what I did. I had to make my msq mostly by hand but the imported fuel/spark tables made tuning go very quickly.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!