MS3 - progress monitor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

How are you getting on with MS3 ?

Waiting for it to arrive
3%
Received it ok, not done anything yet
4%
Waiting on other parts
3%
Stuck - problems
9%
Bench testing only so far
10%
Partway through on-engine installation
8%
Engine up and running, but not finished
32%
All running, does what I want - success!
31%

Total votes: 645

adamnreeves
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 - progress monitor

Post by adamnreeves »

I am up on running on MS3 today. Upgraded from MS2. Running a Stage III Rover 4.6 V8 in a Westfield.
Westfield SEiGHT 4.6 Stage III
Running Megasquirt3 Wasted Spark using EDIS-8 Firmware MS3Extra 1.1.1
Build site
Booger
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Booger »

93 mustang hatch, sbf 424 with tfs-r heads, 101mm turbo, 160lb injectors

motor running still have a few issues to work out but it finnally running!!! it is an 1/8 mile drag car

charged3800z24
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by charged3800z24 »

Awesome build Booger!
frank_ster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by frank_ster »

daily driven subaru legacy with buick grand national engine awd

running every day did 21 000 kms on ms3 so far !
2005 subaru legacy with buick grandnational engine and awd :D
1976 gmc k10 pickup vortec 383 tbi ms2 nv4500 3.42 final drives
charged3800z24
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by charged3800z24 »

frank_ster wrote:daily driven subaru legacy with buick grand national engine awd

running every day did 21 000 kms on ms3 so far !
Frank_ster, your build doesn't count.... :P
2k1amberr/t
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 2k1amberr/t »

I voted, everything is operational and works, however I haven't actually tapped into all of the available options just yet. I plan on taking over boost control with MS3 rather than having my current AEM tru boost gauge do it for me. I also want to have MS3 control water/meth injection rather than my stupid snow performance stage 2 progressive box. I haven't quite figured out how to create a progressive system with ms3 but eventually I'd like to if possible.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

2k1amberr/t wrote:I voted, everything is operational and works, however I haven't actually tapped into all of the available options just yet. I plan on taking over boost control with MS3 rather than having my current AEM tru boost gauge do it for me. I also want to have MS3 control water/meth injection rather than my stupid snow performance stage 2 progressive box. I haven't quite figured out how to create a progressive system with ms3 but eventually I'd like to if possible.
Concerning water/meth and MS3/3X see here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=42036
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Whenever I look at this topic, I wonder how some people are still "waiting for it to arrive" ? Perhaps I'll dig into the forum database and PM them to ask why.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
2k1amberr/t
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by 2k1amberr/t »

prof315 wrote:
2k1amberr/t wrote:I voted, everything is operational and works, however I haven't actually tapped into all of the available options just yet. I plan on taking over boost control with MS3 rather than having my current AEM tru boost gauge do it for me. I also want to have MS3 control water/meth injection rather than my stupid snow performance stage 2 progressive box. I haven't quite figured out how to create a progressive system with ms3 but eventually I'd like to if possible.
Concerning water/meth and MS3/3X see here: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 25&t=42036
Unfortunately, I don't understand ANY of that gibberish nonsense. If you tell me to run a power wire from the pump to X pin on the expansion board and a ground wire to Y pin on the expansion board (or ground it to the frame, firewall, etc.), and explained how to configure my table I could do it. PWM and amps and volts and grounds and frequencies and multiple ways to set it up just confuses the hell out of me though. Thanks for at least getting me to click on the link and feel like an idiot though. :lol:
mk3chip
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mk3chip »

Well, I think I finally gathered enough information to commit. Just ordered my unit. Its going on a smokey 1jz, thats waiting for a BW S363. I cant wait.
cmonref
Experienced MS/Extra'er

First sustained run last night

Post by cmonref »

Saw the first sustained run of my MS-3/3x last night. Hated to shut if off! The Manual had all my answers to frustrating pre-start period. But I am amazed at the handfull of things that I did not pick up on over several hundred hours of reading -- that I had to "notice" when re-reading while stumped in the process.

Brian
Brian
MS3-3X v1.3.0; TS Ultra 3.0.28; 911SC 3.0L; 3.2 intake; 2 Spartan O2 sensors; LS-2 coils; 60-2 geartooth and hall; dizzy hall
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

I bet they forgot about the thread.

I have to leave my vote one short of "success" because I'm still waiting on alternator control :D
adamnreeves
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by adamnreeves »

y8s wrote:I bet they forgot about the thread.

I have to leave my vote one short of "success" because I'm still waiting on alternator control :D

I presume you are just after switching the alternator on/off? Can you not just use of the 6 PWM outputs for this?
Westfield SEiGHT 4.6 Stage III
Running Megasquirt3 Wasted Spark using EDIS-8 Firmware MS3Extra 1.1.1
Build site
y8s
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by y8s »

Ultimately the circuit I use is effectively a threshold switch but the MS3 outputs are not nearly fast enough.

I've tried. The voltage oscillates. which makes everything else oscillate.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

y8s wrote:Ultimately the circuit I use is effectively a threshold switch but the MS3 outputs are not nearly fast enough.

I've tried. The voltage oscillates. which makes everything else oscillate.
How fast do you think you need it?
I thought the stock system was some sort of PID controller?

(Might be best to split this into another topic)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
shortbus
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by shortbus »

1996 Camaro LT1
MS3/MS3X, TPiS front cover, EFI Connection 58x wheel, EFI Connection 1x Cam sensor, D585 coils.
Started in Wasted COP.
9secz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 9secz »

Not very interesting, I'm guessing, but I just changed my vote from bench testing to fully wired. I doubt most of the world's population realizes how much work it is to make a custom engine harness for sequential injection with a peak and hold converter box and COP with a BIP373 driver box. But you guys do! So does my wife. I spent most of the 3-day weekend trimming wire and crimping pins. And maybe swearing a little.

The next steps are to revisit all the TS screens to make sure I have everything set correctly, then do the fixed 10 degree timing test with fuel disconnected, then try to fire it up.

Jeff
9secz
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by 9secz »

First start this evening. :yeah!:

Jeff
ab
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ab »

First start today, feels good to be using Tunerstudio again after a few years off :D
Toyota Aristo 2JZ-GTE MS3X
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

Been running MS3/MS3x on my T4 VW motor in by squareback for a ~week of 80 mile commutes.
My MS2-extra sequential tables were a great starting point, and getting it going was a minimum amount of fuss.
I still have about a dozen channels of IO I have not figured out what to do with. Yet.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.