MS3 - progress monitor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

How are you getting on with MS3 ?

Waiting for it to arrive
3%
Received it ok, not done anything yet
4%
Waiting on other parts
3%
Stuck - problems
9%
Bench testing only so far
10%
Partway through on-engine installation
8%
Engine up and running, but not finished
32%
All running, does what I want - success!
31%

Total votes: 645

Vesku
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 - progress monitor

Post by Vesku »

Today I get my sierra cosworth running with full sequential injection and cop. Runs fine! Tomorrow is last day for road tuning. Seems that I get it tuned tomorrow. Very happy at all.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

pimp4lyphe wrote:
Tjabo wrote:Just curious if you might be near another MS'er, where are you located?

In the alternative, there is a good section in the manual on this.

Thad
Located in Jamaica, i am near another MS'er who has helped me alot to this point.
Is there a difference in tuning MS2 EA vs MS3 EA?
Big difference. MS2 basic AE uses a simple millisecond adder. So say at a tpsdot of 80 your setting is 2ms, you are adding an extra 2ms of pulsewidth to the current VE number.
MS3 uses a percentage based multiplier. So at the same tpsdot of 80, a setting of 2% will multiply your current VE by 102%.
Personally, I LOVE the MS3 way vs the MS2

Jeff
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Oh man, I've never even used the standard MS2 code. I went straight to MS2/Extra, and now I know one more reason I'm happy I did! :lol:
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

ms2/extra used ms as well, ms3 is the first software to use percentages.

Ken
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

It did? :| WTH am I thinking of? ? ? ?

:lol:

I do remember clearly that there was a really nice improvement in user friendliness of the AE when I went from MS1/Extra to MS2/Extra. . . . Maybe it was just the GUI or something. Huh. . . .
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
ChaosAD
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by ChaosAD »

Still only a 50% "turnout" in this poll. I'm assuming the other 50% must be mantlepiece ornaments then..
C'mon people, get your sh1t together.

Is there any chance of another limited sale of 80 more ms3 daughterboards?
The polls dont seem to have moved much in the last month and the people not voting probably aren't checking the forums
ChevytoyR1
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by ChevytoyR1 »

i wouldnt be surprised if half the people that bought the ms3 only bought it for the use of dataloging and the use of usb port..

i know that would be my main reason to buying a ms3....
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

Got my tranny back in last weekend and ran my car today :mrgreen: Had to do a little tinkering on the EDIS settings and make some changes from my MS2/extra. Needed more fuel about everywhere. Runs very smooth, with the accel re adjusted in percent it is nice and snappy now.
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
noisymime
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by noisymime »

For what its worth, I have a full carby to sequential conversion with nearly everything done except having a MS3 + MS3x... All on a MK2 Cortina (Will that make two?) :P

You must be getting sick of the question, but any idea when the next batch + extra board will be out?
Mk2 Cortina 1600 with V3.57 MS3+MS3X
Turbo crossflow with COPs, sequential ignition/injection up and running
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Sounds good..

MS3X and MS3 are due to be manufactured about now I believe. There have been some delays due to component sourcing. More news as we have it.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
tristanlee85
Site Admin

Post by tristanlee85 »

Just another update to say the car is back up and running after changing the ignition and a brand new wiring harness. I'm still having issues with the idle dropping out after start, but hopefully I can nip that in the butt later this week once I pull the car out of the garage.
1997 Turbo Saturn

MS3 v0.22
TunerStudio v[insert_current_version_here]
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

tristanlee85 wrote:I'm still having issues with the idle dropping out after start,
Which idle control strategy are you using?
tristanlee85
Site Admin

Post by tristanlee85 »

Tjabo wrote:
tristanlee85 wrote:I'm still having issues with the idle dropping out after start,
Which idle control strategy are you using?
GM stepper. Open-loop. There's another thread going on about this so I wonder over-load this one with much details, but basically once the engine starts, the idle valve will close (or at least the step in TunerStudio will drop to 0) for about 5 seconds and then go back up to the commanded number. So after it starts I have to feather the throttle to keep it alive since my set screw is adjusted too low to idle without the IAC currently. Ken hasn't been able to reproduce it and Una I guess is having similar issues, but he can unplug the idle valve and still has the same problem. I don't know. It's weird, but it's not a show-stopper right now for me so I will continue to investigate.
1997 Turbo Saturn

MS3 v0.22
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Ah hah, that is the answer I was expecting. I don't think you'll get that one fixed until Ken has a chance to work on it (meaning the other items of higher priority are taken care of). FWIW, I've had AWESOME luck with the closed loop PID strategy, so I'd suggest trying that.

Thad
tristanlee85
Site Admin

Post by tristanlee85 »

I would love to, but the problem is the TPS on my throttle body is not as accurate as I'd like. It seems like the curve in which the voltage changes is more exponential rather than linear. So at closed throttle it may read 1%, but if I open it enough to cruise at 70, it may only read 2 or 3%, and sometimes and increase in the plate opening would sometimes take me to a negative %. Any where between 20% and 100% is basically WOT since the plate it opened that much. I tried closed-loop in the past, but I think the success I didn't have was due to a) my lack of understanding and b) TPS weirdness. I have tried multiple sensors (new and used) as well as complete changes in wiring which have had not affect so I think it's just the property of the TPS itself. I had looked into trying to rig my own up to it (the original Saturn TPS was very accurate), but it isn't going to be easy and I hate hacking/rigging stuff. I've done it too much in the past and I'm not wanting to visit that again.
1997 Turbo Saturn

MS3 v0.22
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Okay, I'm with you. It was a problem with my TPS that caused me to try the open loop stepper code also.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The three users that say they are stuck - can we help you?

The five waiting - is the post really that bad? (That option was intended for _bought_it_ and waiting for it to arrive.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
pimp4lyphe
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pimp4lyphe »

changed my vote
sjf911
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sjf911 »

jsmcortina wrote:The three users that say they are stuck - can we help you?

The five waiting - is the post really that bad? (That option was intended for _bought_it_ and waiting for it to arrive.)

James
I'm just waiting for the return of my MS3 that tested out OK. I am eager to get it up and running. Cam sensor is installed, wiring components are ready for the MS3x sequential, and I have 16 LS2 coils (12+4 spares) lying around waiting to go on for twin plug CNP ignition.
Steve
Steve
1983 Porsche 911SC 3.4L, MS-3 v3.57 (pre1.4 alpha1, TS 2.6.14,JBperf I/O extender), MS3X full sequential, RTC, 12x LS2 D585 coil twinplug, PMAS HPX MAF, LC-1, GT35R turbocharged, full-bay intercooler, J&S Interceptor, e85.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Yeah I sent it, you should get it soon.

Ken