MS3 - progress monitor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

How are you getting on with MS3 ?

Waiting for it to arrive
3%
Received it ok, not done anything yet
4%
Waiting on other parts
3%
Stuck - problems
9%
Bench testing only so far
10%
Partway through on-engine installation
8%
Engine up and running, but not finished
32%
All running, does what I want - success!
31%

Total votes: 645

sjf911
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 - progress monitor

Post by sjf911 »

Got the card back today, thank you very much! I was initially unable to reinstall the firmware so re-downloaded the package and 0.22a went right in using my Vista laptop and a new serial-USB adapter from DIY. Car started right up with importation of the tables from MS2 but I struggled to get EDIS to work until late this PM. It stayed in limp-home mode and I had intermittent dropout. The dropout turned out to be a bad crimp on the VR sensor pigtail which was fixed easily after it was identified. I reinstalled the MS2 card and confirmed that the EDIS controllers (I have 2 EDIS-6 controllers running in parallel for twin-plug wasted spark) were working and then after reinstalling the MS3 card it worked on first attempt. I have no idea what the problem was.
I am currently running a Bosch AAR for warmup idle control but the next step after some tuning and dataloging will be to install my Bosch 3-wire PWM valve using the GG board for control since I can't find any 30-40 ohm resistors around here. After that, closed loop idle tuning and then hopefully the MS3x boards will be out to go sequential. At that point I will remove my relay board and rewire everything with a Bussmann 15301 RTMR panel and Deutsch connectors.
Steve
Steve
1983 Porsche 911SC 3.4L, MS-3 v3.57 (pre1.4 alpha1, TS 2.6.14,JBperf I/O extender), MS3X full sequential, RTC, 12x LS2 D585 coil twinplug, PMAS HPX MAF, LC-1, GT35R turbocharged, full-bay intercooler, J&S Interceptor, e85.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

Glad you got it working!

Ken
pimp4lyphe
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pimp4lyphe »

Finally got the chance to do some more work today. I have my AE tuned and the car now runs quite nicely. Its starts up noticeably quicker than the MS2, throttle response is almost as nice as the stock ECU. I
I'm running the MS3 in upgrade mode using a modified a modified distributor as a 12-1crank wheel and firing Honda k20 COP's in wasted spark mode. I noticed that I had to adjust my dwell time from 3.5ms (that worked fine on MS2) to 3.8 to get rid of idle stumble.
It does what I want for now, next step is to get VSS signal to the unit.
CyanJaguar
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by CyanJaguar »

ChevytoyR1 wrote:i wouldnt be surprised if half the people that bought the ms3 only bought it for the use of dataloging and the use of usb port..

i know that would be my main reason to buying a ms3....
that would be me. I also like the 16x16 tables
wmahaffey
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by wmahaffey »

Sorry I missed this thread. I have installed the MS3 board and had the motorcycle engine running as both wasted spark Coil-On-Plub and full sequential COP. I purchasd a board to supply me with the coil drivers and VR conditioner but there are problems with VR conditioner circuits which I have been unable to resolve. My next project is to have my Lincoln MK VIII engine running full COP and sequential injection. I need the MS3X before I can accomplish this.

What is the status of the MS3X availability?

Bill
dpf22
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dpf22 »

Ditto, I would like to pick up an ms3 and ms3x card for use on my current rx7+1uzfe project. I really would like to run this v8 full sequential with all the trimmin's :)

Anthony L
preston
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by preston »

What is the latest on MS3X release ?
Sorry if I missed it but is there currently a target date ?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

preston wrote:What is the latest on MS3X release ?
Sorry if I missed it but is there currently a target date ?
We are hoping to have a small batch available later this month with full production following not too long after.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
greg_m
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by greg_m »

New to the forum, just got my MS3 a couple of weeks ago. Have some machining left to do on the throttle bodies. Started with 2 blocks of aluminium. Using Weber 48DCOE throttle plates and shafts. Just need to add the fittings for the IAC to each throat and a small adjustment for the TPS mounting. They will be going on a Lotus 906 engine that originally had a pair of Weber 48DCOE's. Ultimate goal is to have sequential injection. Looking forward to see what the difference will be with the MS3. Always felt that the Webers didn't let the engine show it's true potential. Not to say that the car didn't rock, lost very few races over the 5 years we ran it, and none due to the Webers.
Greg
1974 Jensen Healey
Lotus 906/907 engine (907 block, 906 crank, dry-sump, cylinder head, pistons, Cosworth BDA valves, springs, cam followers)
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

greg_m wrote:New to the forum, just got my MS3 a couple of weeks ago. Have some machining left to do on the throttle bodies. Started with 2 blocks of aluminium. Using Weber 48DCOE throttle plates and shafts. Just need to add the fittings for the IAC to each throat and a small adjustment for the TPS mounting. They will be going on a Lotus 906 engine that originally had a pair of Weber 48DCOE's. Ultimate goal is to have sequential injection. Looking forward to see what the difference will be with the MS3. Always felt that the Webers didn't let the engine show it's true potential. Not to say that the car didn't rock, lost very few races over the 5 years we ran it, and none due to the Webers.
Most likely the biggest differences you'll see going from Webers to MS are 1: much lower fuel consumption, we saw a 25% reduction in fuel comsumption on our race cars. 2: a broader powerband due to the much better control of the entire fuel curve.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

I realize this is way off topic, and I apologize, but I can't help asking whether anyone on here has checked a carburetted engine with a modern wideband? I never messed with a wideband when I was tuning obsessively with carbs, and now I wonder what the fuel control really looked like. I'm guessing a bit fat at transitions, but otherwise not too bad. The question is "just how bad is not too bad" I guess. . .
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

Tjabo wrote:I realize this is way off topic, and I apologize, but I can't help asking whether anyone on here has checked a carburetted engine with a modern wideband? I never messed with a wideband when I was tuning obsessively with carbs, and now I wonder what the fuel control really looked like. I'm guessing a bit fat at transitions, but otherwise not too bad. The question is "just how bad is not too bad" I guess. . .
Yeah I've done a fair bit of dyno tuning with carbs. Transisitons tend to be richer, decel goes pig fat on most setups and you always seem to have to compromise one part of the curve to dial in the rest.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Thanks!
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
Paul_VR6
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Paul_VR6 »

Pretty much the same experiences, helped a buddy out with his 455 olds. It's amazing how quickly you can dial things in even with old tech. You will have a lot more compromises though, especially with tip in.
-Paul
1992 Corrado SLC 3.6 VR6 11.38@120 - MS3 Pro Ultimate - Microsquirt I/O - Can EGT - Racepak IQ3s
kptuned.com - Megasquirting the World! Megasquirt Sales, Service, Tuning and More!
projectsvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by projectsvo »

I would be remiss if I did not send a big THANK YOU to Wes KIser, the guys at DIY & everybody I met at the MS meet, & everybody here, because without all of your support & patience I could not have done this.

That said, it's official...... my SVO Mustang with a 4cyl 2.3L turbo is up & running on MS3 !! :yeah!: :yeah!:

Wes graciously took time out of his busy schedule and drove up to help me convert it at a TurboFord meet in VA this weekend. I must say the driveability is incredible compared to the WMS-SDS I was running. Sadly however, I had a fuel pump failure so we were not able to make any real power runs on the dyno. While I know there is a long way to go, I'm very pleased with the results thus far & look forward to learning to tune it. Wes, thank you again for everything.

Andrew V
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Congrats! Welcome to the family. :yeah!:
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
8byah6
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 8byah6 »

hi i'm Ron and my ms3 should be here tomorrow :yeah!: i went v3.0 from diy with a map daddy and i'm waiting to get my hands on a ms3x board .i have a feeling this is going to be a 100x better then the sct prp i've been running on the stang.update got it today thanks matt at diy it's 90% built as of 12 o clock
96 3.8 turbo v6 Mustang ms3x
97 Mustang gt 4.6 m112 e85 ms3x
99 5.4 Mustang gt s480 e85 ms3x
00 4.6 Mustang gt twins e85 ms3x
96 Dodge ram 360 turbo ms2
93 Mustang lx 347 turbo ms3x
98 Tacoma 2rz turbo ms3x
01 4.6 Mustang gt ms2 t harness pnp
EspeNS
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by EspeNS »

Received my MS3 with MS3x today. Will start mounting it next weekend.
The car is a Ford Sierra Cosworth 4x4, and I'm going to use the stock Iaw Weber-Marelli sensors to run sequential.
-84 Ford Sierra 2,0ohc GL, soon to be MS'd, NA tuned with rallyecam and TBI.
-98 Mustang Cobra, track car.
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

The engine started today.
I was very impressed:
I let the fuel pump turn to purge the circuit.
then, it started directly after 3 seconds cranking.
I didn't think it would start so quickly.
Dyn-Evo
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Dyn-Evo »

Right: mine (MS3 / MS3x) is working on the bench: I was going to play with seq COP and injection too but now will be hoping to just install onto my 1MZFE in stock mode (3 coils firing 6 cyls in WS mode / seq injection).

I'll be on this reasonably soon, but have been looking for a job for the last 6 weeks (got one now!), so not really had time to "play"..... :lol:

So, officially i'm still "bench testing"!
4AGE "bench testing rig".
MR2 Roadster with 1MZFE V6 fitted: soon to get the MS3 treatment...!

.....followed by seq COP upgrade!