MS3 - progress monitor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

How are you getting on with MS3 ?

Waiting for it to arrive
3%
Received it ok, not done anything yet
4%
Waiting on other parts
3%
Stuck - problems
9%
Bench testing only so far
10%
Partway through on-engine installation
8%
Engine up and running, but not finished
32%
All running, does what I want - success!
31%

Total votes: 645

subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 - progress monitor

Post by subwoofer »

VW Wasserboxer (Engine code DJ) up and running today. Only semi-seq yet, but basic behaviour is improving quickly. Opting for Lean-of-Peak operation with AFR table switch from TPS to switch to max power AFR above 95% throttle.

MS3/MS3X, 6.5" 36-1 trigger wheel, Honeywell 1GT101DC CAS, LC-1 WB O2 sensor, all stock otherwise. Engine well worn, has 245'km on it in a heavy vehicle already.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
suberimakuri
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by suberimakuri »

20v blacktop 4age in ae70 corolla, supra box, hilux diff, twin plate, etc up and running today on MS3X, stock dizzy, 1AZ COP's, sequential. Needs exhaust and few things finished to start driving. wooT!
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

I want to buy some ms3s but password protection is a must in my specific case...
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

jasaircraft wrote:I want to buy some ms3s but password protection is a must in my specific case...
If it's to prove that a tune is unchanged for record keeping purposes, an MD5 hash of the MSQ would allow ~instant verification by anyone.
~ANYTHING can be copied by someone suitably determined, if that is your concern...
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

piledriver wrote:
jasaircraft wrote:I want to buy some ms3s but password protection is a must in my specific case...
If it's to prove that a tune is unchanged for record keeping purposes, an MD5 hash of the MSQ would allow ~instant verification by anyone.
~ANYTHING can be copied by someone suitably determined, if that is your concern...
Hi could you please tell me how to do that? Or maybe point toa website showing how to?
Best regards
Jose
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

piledriver wrote: If it's to prove that a tune is unchanged for record keeping purposes, an MD5 hash of the MSQ would allow ~instant verification by anyone.
What if the guy is smart enough to backup your msq?
You tune the engine, he backups the msq first time he uses it, then he does crazy thing with the msq, blows the engine, reloads your msq and comes to you asking you to pay for his engine or part of it? :mrgreen:
MD5 hash would be the same, obliviously.
You could pay one in doubt to keep the man as good client. What if another one do the same trick? LOL

Not enough, I think jasaircraft want a password preventing the user to open the msq and copy it, sell it etc.
But then you're right, everything could be cracked easily if not encrypted.

What about some kind of hardware key inside the case, that makes you write the chip when it's on, remove it when done and then use seals on the case?
At least if seals are broken he can't complain.

But we are going far from original diy megasquirt spirit.

Or do some hardware mods to disable rs232 and usb, then seal it.
you know "warranty void if removed" seals?

Everything about software can be cracked in right hands (or bad hands, depending on point of view), usually without leaving trace, with enough brain and time!

usually you want to make sure time needed to crack would need way more effort than the gain having it cracked.

But after all this talk, if he would hardware mod it to disable rs232 and usb comm, selling it as sealed unit, he should at least have commercial license from B&G, not? :mrgreen:
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

True, the owners of code can distribute under multiple, different liscenses, very commonly done.
Sorry for the OT.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
Acki
Banned

MS3 - progress monitor

Post by Acki »

Try to get a license... It's easier to get the source for windows.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Hi guys, I didnt get an answer...
Well I normally sell Haltechs and Link ecus and they have simple password protection, in my market area that is enough for protection...
I have done some MS ecu build/installs up to now to see them in action but its that issue that is holding me from doing much more (which is good for MS $$$), if I get it solved I will call my MS Clients for the password lock, and will probably buy MS ecus only or mostly...
mazdaguy001
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by mazdaguy001 »

Slowly installing..... Trying to get my crank position sensor working :S
jmaz87
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by jmaz87 »

85 Toyota MR2 4AGE MS3/X w/knock mod fully sequential fuel and COP

I absolutely love it!!! now if I could just get my stupid TPS to behave Linearly I could run proper EAE but no complaints what so ever for MS.
85 AW11 4AGE MS3/X Fully Seq fuel/cop

DATALOGS AND TUNES IN LINK
https://truck.it/p/1Dl1ejMkZq
binlki1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by binlki1 »

I received my megasquirt 3 and I was very impressed with the packaging and layout of everything. It was just as advertised. I done lots of reading and l thought had done enough research. But since I seem to be stuck I suppose not. So far the build has gone very well, all the basic components went very easily. when I got to specific customization I seem to have gotten lost. more specifically with idle control valve on a KA24 91 nissan 240sx and ignition. I have posted in the general Build forum and I am confident that I will be back on track soon.
91 240sx Stock, with intake plumbing. MS3x with Expansion, DIYAutotune Trigger, COP, full sequential. Daily Driver.
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

Almost ready to go... :)

Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
jasaircraft
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by jasaircraft »

Nice build, what is the board attached to the cover you are holding ?
MS3 has CAN protocol comms?
MWPau
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by MWPau »

The board on the lid is a jbperf TinyIOx.
Yes, the MS3 has CAN (the TinyIOx communicates with the MS3 using it).
Toyota Celica GT4/Alltrac with 5S-GTE stroker (2.2L I4 turbo, high CR) on E85 w/FlexFuel.
MS3 + MS3X + KnockBoard + RTC + BT + DIY CAN-IO-Board + DIY CAN Digital Dash.
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

With the help of the MS3X Manuals, Jim Stim and Stim X. Philip Ringwood's excellent videos at ExtraEFI.co.uk
I have got the config files working.
Now to get the engine connected up and running.
chriskolar
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by chriskolar »

Not running yet on a parallel install, 1996 chevy suburban, working thru some probs getting tach signal.
1951 Ford F1, old school-currently under construction
1996 Chevy Suburban, Megasquirt project
khorisma
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by khorisma »

:yeah!:

My main stumbling block had been simply understanding the setting up of the trigger wheel, cause, my mind works in mysterious ways. All I had to do was set number 1 tooth 80 degress BTC, rotate another 40 BTC and set the vane on the dizzy in the middle of the sensor and darn thing started on three cylinders like a champ. (Bad Coil). This I found out from Esslinger when finally asking how they do it.
mUnky
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by mUnky »

I'd really love to see what the poll looks like with all the "parts not arrived", "ordered but done nothing" people updated to where they should be...
PurpleF
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by PurpleF »

Bench testing but basically ready to install
Plug and play so installation relatively simple