MS3 Processor Problem

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Ashg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3 Processor Problem

Post by Ashg »

Hey guys. I have just finished building my ms3 but a problem. i built the v3.0 pcb to the instructions provided on http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/V3assemble.htm

when i go to load the code onto the v3 chip via the usb connection i just get the message waiting. i have checked the v3 board over and its all fine and dandy on all the voltage readouts. all the comms settings are as they should be and i have installed all the correct drivers.

with the boot loader jumper in place the 3 leds are not flashing with the ms3 processor installed. if i take the ms3 processor out and install the ms2 processor with the boot loader jumper installed all three led's flash as they should.

im currently away from home for work but am doing this as an evening project in the hotel. i dont have a serial port on my laptop so i cant see if i can load any code onto the ms2processor but i know i should be able to as the 3 leds are flashing to say its going into boot loader mode.

another thing i have noticed are thhat there are a couple of bridged pins on my ms3 processor chip. have uploaded some pictures can anyone verify that this looks correct?

Cheers

Ash

picts

Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Processor Problem

Post by Peter Florance »

The bridged pins are correct.
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
60-2 Wheel LS2 Coils, Low Z Inj
Co-Driver 1999 BMW E46 DSP car.
Ashg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ashg »

so if i put the ms3 into boot loader mode should the 3 leds flick on and off like they do when you put ms2 into boot loader mode? currently they dont.

Are there any specific mods that must be made for ms3 when upgrading from B&g ms2?
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Ashg wrote:so if i put the ms3 into boot loader mode should the 3 leds flick on and off like they do when you put ms2 into boot loader mode? currently they dont.

Are there any specific mods that must be made for ms3 when upgrading from B&g ms2?
I think so.
I can't recall for sure as I've only done a few.

If you run it in upgrade mode (no MS3X) it should just drop into the v3 or 357 board
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
Ashg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ashg »

so if i remove the ms2 chip and install the ms3 chip it should just work once i have loaded the code.

I'm struggling with this one there seems to be little information regarding the board setup required for the ms3 chip. (maybe im not looking in the right place)
Peter Florance
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Peter Florance »

Ashg wrote:so if i remove the ms2 chip and install the ms3 chip it should just work once i have loaded the code.

I'm struggling with this one there seems to be little information regarding the board setup required for the ms3 chip. (maybe im not looking in the right place)
Yes, that is what I've done when I've tested repaired MS3 modules
Peter Florance
PF Tuning
81 BMW Euro 528i ESP Car
UnaClocker
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by UnaClocker »

Yeah, simply remove the MS2 and install the MS3.. It's only when going from MS1 to MS3 that you need to change some things, and that should be covered in the MS2 documentation, because it's the same things as MS1 to MS2..
Are you using the DB9 serial port to flash, or the onboard USB? Are you sure you have your drivers setup and working correctly?
Brian
'84 Dodge Rampage
Ashg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Ashg »

dont worry guys i popped over to diy autotune matt tried it on his pc and it was fine. looks like its the usb on my crappy dell laptop. will have to use the old laptop in the workshop when i get back home to the uk

also picked up an ms3x expander board, found out the delivery turned up only a few hours before i arrived so thought it would be rude not to get one :-) and as i had the credit card out i grabbed an lc-1 wideband at the same time.

so now i have
ms3x with expander and lc-1 wideband to run my saab 9000 turbo engine. i only started out wanting an ms2 with boost control lol.

cheers for the help, will be bugging for more when i get home and want to start tuning it.