Bosch 3 wire PWM idle valve questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

heychris_1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Bosch 3 wire PWM idle valve questions

Post by heychris_1 »

All,

I'm inches from my first start on my MS3x converted BMW 2002.

I've got a couple of questions on PWM idle valves.

1. The documentation state "Normal, 0%=off - This means that 0% duty turns off the idle valve."
Does idle valve off mean that it doesn't allow any air to flow through? (just want to make sure I fully understand)

2. I am using the bosch 3 wire idle valve from an 1990 e30 BMW 325i. Searching the forum sounds like 60-120mhz will work for it. I first tried 76mhz. In test mode I'm able to fully open and fully close the valve. Also 50% appears to be 50%
Trying 25% and 75% also result in fully closed or open. I've tried different pwm frequencies, but that seems to have made it worse, even when I switch back to 76mhz.

I'm an engineer and understand how PWM works, but not sure how it translates to this valve.

Is it possible the valve is just bad?

Can anyone recommend a valve testing procedure?

Thanks!

Chris
Last edited by heychris_1 on Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1967 BMW 1600 with 2.2L engine, MS3+MS3X, LS coils, jetta hall sensor in distributor
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Bosch 3 wire PWM idle valve questions

Post by jsmcortina »

MSQ ?
Have you enabled 3 wire mode? How do you have it wired? I tested a 3 wire valve on the bench after I added that feature.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sjf911
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sjf911 »

I have a brand new Bosch 3-wire on the Porsche that is functionally completely closed at 35% and functionally completely open at 70% so your results look pretty typical to my small series.
Steve
1983 Porsche 911SC 3.4L, MS-3 v3.57 (pre1.4 alpha1, TS 2.6.14,JBperf I/O extender), MS3X full sequential, RTC, 12x LS2 D585 coil twinplug, PMAS HPX MAF, LC-1, GT35R turbocharged, full-bay intercooler, J&S Interceptor, e85.
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

I had a hard time getting the 3-wire one to work on my S70. I wound up just ditching the IAC entirely until I can bench test it further and figure out how to properly control it.
1992 Volvo 740 Wagon - Beater Car...CAI, 16T, catback, MS3/MS3X, & HID's
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD - Daily Driver...RAI, Big 16g, 3" TBE, HID's, etc.
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

i have a 3 wire valve on my sentra, running in 3 wire mode, and it works fairly well, make sure you're driving it from the ms3x board entirely, not idle and f-idle, so you're using the same transistors for both coils.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

The way the Bosch valves work is 1 pin is +12V, and the other 2 wires are effectively grounds. Grounding one causes the motor to open, grounding the other causes it to close.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

+1 gurov.

I'm also using a 3-wire denso valve on the corolla, and it works fine as long as you do what gurov says.

Ken
VolvoGuy50
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by VolvoGuy50 »

muythaibxr wrote:+1 gurov.

I'm also using a 3-wire denso valve on the corolla, and it works fine as long as you do what gurov says.

Ken
Can this be done on the Bosch valves? I was trying to drive mine using F-Idle and MS3X Idle, but that's only because I assumed they require opposing signals. I have seen people just tie the "closing signal" wire to ground and run it as a 2 wire valve before. That seems to work well from what I've read. I'll try and bench test it once I fix my DC supply... :evil:
nuvolarossa
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by nuvolarossa »

gurov wrote:i have a 3 wire valve on my sentra, running in 3 wire mode, and it works fairly well, make sure you're driving it from the ms3x board entirely, not idle and f-idle, so you're using the same transistors for both coils.
I have a bosch 3 wire on my bimmer driven from idle and f-idle and running pwm closed loop. I tried it on bench before and it worked great. Obliviously it works great in car too.

Which kind of troubles may give driving it from Idle|f-idle?
Robert
MS3x 1.4.1 | TS 3.0.28
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I wrote the 3 wire mode so the 3-wire valve can be driven as the manufacturer intended.

Using FIDLE and Idle will certainly be ok with the V3.57 mainboard as it uses the same driver as the MS3X. It ought to work with a modded V3.0 too, but the point gurov makes is fair - using identical drivers for both sides is good practice.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

hassmaschine
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by hassmaschine »

I've bench tested this exact valve (E30 3-wire PWM) and got pretty much exactly the same values 75% open, 20%-something closed. The closed value was actually more vague than the open value, which was obvious. It seemed to continue moving up to about 10% but it was hard to see by eye. as far as the frequency I think I'm running mine at 90hz or whatever the closest to that is that you can select.

and I'd definitely be running it off the MS3x, with an M20 you aren't going to need all those PWM outputs for other things like VVT anyway.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

VolvoGuy50 wrote:I have seen people just tie the "closing signal" wire to ground and run it as a 2 wire valve before. That seems to work well from what I've read. I'll try and bench test it once I fix my DC supply... :evil:
That sounds to me like a recipe for a fried valve!

Think of a 3-wire valve this way: it's essentially two motors, each trying to turn the valve in the opposite direction. Grounding one of the signal wires basically means you're running one motor at full power all the time and PWMing the other, and letting them fight it out for where the valve ends up.

If you wire it the right way, you never have a condition where both "motors" are fighting each other.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
gurov
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by gurov »

elaw wrote:
VolvoGuy50 wrote:I have seen people just tie the "closing signal" wire to ground and run it as a 2 wire valve before. That seems to work well from what I've read. I'll try and bench test it once I fix my DC supply... :evil:
That sounds to me like a recipe for a fried valve!

Think of a 3-wire valve this way: it's essentially two motors, each trying to turn the valve in the opposite direction. Grounding one of the signal wires basically means you're running one motor at full power all the time and PWMing the other, and letting them fight it out for where the valve ends up.

If you wire it the right way, you never have a condition where both "motors" are fighting each other.
this is how the manual recommends it done for ms2 that is without a 3 wire mode.
2020 BMW X3M - bm3 - stage1
1994 Supra - ms3pnp pro - j&s
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Well yes, but why mess around with that when we've provided a true 3 wire implementation !

James

heychris_1
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by heychris_1 »

My 3 wire bosch valve is being run purely by the ms3x using idle and vvt.

Is there a procedure for finding the right frequency?
1967 BMW 1600 with 2.2L engine, MS3+MS3X, LS coils, jetta hall sensor in distributor
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I think the scheme in the MS2 docs is a bit like I described above, but you're running one of the "motors" at partial power all the time instead of full power. It's far from ideal, but better than nothing if you only have 1 driver available.

Re finding the best frequency, I'd say use trial-and-error to find the highest frequency where the valve operates properly. If you select too low of a frequency, the valve will be constantly moving back-and-forth which I'd expect to cause a lot of wear.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
red-racing
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by red-racing »

How do I setup this valve in MS2?
3-wire mode
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

i don't think ms2 can do the 3wire, so would be either the big resistor or a circuit to drive both coils
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

heychris_1 wrote:My 3 wire bosch valve is being run purely by the ms3x using idle and vvt.

Is there a procedure for finding the right frequency?
99 hz is the frequency VW uses.

Using one off a Vanagon using idle and VVT off the MS3x, works flawlessly.

Center tap is 12v.

You can do it on MS2 if you add a n additional driver and pull an inverted signal off fidle so you have complementary outputs..
Of course I was doing it through an MS3X, via an MS2Xt adapter, which is entirely like cheating. :lol:
(Dontz125s idea)
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I'm also using a 3 wire Bosch from a CIS-E VW Golf at ~100Hz using the MS3X Idle and NO2-1 outputs on a customer's race car. It works well enough that even with a 308* cam, the engine starts and idles at 1300 rpms cold, hot or anywhere in between with no throttle assist.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!