MS3 on polaris 650 triple 2-stroke?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

MS3 on polaris 650 triple 2-stroke?

Post by gndan »

As it says im looking to run fuel injection on my polaris 650 triple. I am wondering if I can use the original input coming from the engine or the output from the cdi box to the original coils. I want to use lsx coils and just single rail batch fire. For those of you who aren't familiar with polaris triples all the coils fire at once everytime so ignition should be fairly easy. Im just looking to use the factory pickup instead of the 36-1 wheel where I would need to build an adaptor.

Dan
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 on polaris 650 triple 2-stroke?

Post by Matt Cramer »

Do you have any details on how the factory pickup is set up?

I doubt you'd be able to use the CDI box's output, but the input might be useful.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
frank_ster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by frank_ster »

they have a magnetic vr sensor on the out side of the alternator with 3 magnets.
2005 subaru legacy with buick grandnational engine and awd :D
1976 gmc k10 pickup vortec 383 tbi ms2 nv4500 3.42 final drives
gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gndan »

Thanks frank for your input, I have not been able to check it yet to see what it is since I have it in storage but if it where a "3 tooth" window that would be great! Ill check it when I have it home next.

Dan
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

frank_ster wrote:they have a magnetic vr sensor on the out side of the alternator with 3 magnets.
That could probably work in Basic Trigger mode.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gndan »

Matt that's exactly what im thinking! Especially since my car is a 3whore window and functions on basic trigger!
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

Plan on going MAF as there is not enough MAP signal to get speed density to work and the exhaust system will drive alpha-n nuts. I lost 1/2 a summer trying. Once I went MAF, everything dialed right in.

AW
frank_ster
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by frank_ster »

maf or throttle angle / rpm based. as the stock artic cats work
2005 subaru legacy with buick grandnational engine and awd :D
1976 gmc k10 pickup vortec 383 tbi ms2 nv4500 3.42 final drives
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

frank_ster wrote:maf or throttle angle / rpm based. as the stock artic cats work
The problem with watercraft is that the exhaust system has water in it that is used to control the speed of sound of the exhaust. This in turn controls everything on the power band of the motor. If you pass thru some section of the map wile there is plenty of pressure in the water cooling system and the next time you get there, and there is no water pressure yet, the fueling requirements are very different. MAF fixed all of this.

AS a side note: race watercraft with carbs do all sorts of electronic tricks to control the water in the exhaust to play with this power band. Once I went to MAF, none of that stuff worked and I remove it from the boat.

AW
gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gndan »

What MAF are you running, and how did you go upon the tuning aspect on a 2-stroke? Tune it like you do with a carb and just watch the plugs or what?

Thanks, Dan
whittlebeast
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by whittlebeast »

gndan wrote:What MAF are you running, and how did you go upon the tuning aspect on a 2-stroke? Tune it like you do with a carb and just watch the plugs or what?

Thanks, Dan
I was using a MAF from a v6 Ford Taurus that was designed for about 160 HP. Fuel flow is generally in mass / hour

([pulse width]-[opening time])*RPM

That can be compared to the lbs / hour that is coming off the MAF transfer function

The mass per hour of air / mass per hour of fuel is AFR by definition

Once you start seeing the pattern as to what the motor wants in fuel flow at a few points like idle, 3000 rpm (just on plane) and say 6500 RPM, the rest falls into place.

Andy
gndan
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gndan »

Andy, I sent you a PM about MAF install and tuning.

Thanks, Dan
Mharvey1
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Mharvey1 »

whittlebeast, I am hoping you are still following this post. I just registered so I am not able to PM you. A little about what I am wanting to do: I have a 99 Seadoo GSX RFI 787 that has given me problems from the start with the factory electronics. I found on the FSAE site that you had used a MS for an EFI seadoo 787 and then added a MAF to allow better tuning. I tried getting onto your website (www.ncs-stl.com/xp) but it keeps forwarding me to another site (http://www.nbs-stl.com/). I tried searching FSAE/msextra/shopsbt forums for more information on it but can not find any good details on it. This will be my first MS project and if all goes well I am hoping to fit some yamaha r6/gsxr600 efi throttle bodies to my 1988 FZR400 and then convert my '95 Seadoo XP 720 to EFI. A little about me, I am a Mech E. undergrad from U. of Utah, have rebuilt/swapped engines in cars. All cars I have dealt with are EFI but my two motorcycles and the XP are carbed. I have some decent machining/manufacturing experience. I was on an FSAE team at the U of U, and made a composite carbon fiber chassis. Really appreciate the help!