Waterproof and rugged Case for MS3

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Waterproof and rugged Case for MS3

Post by smokeysevin »

So i should buy the board and connectors and just try to find a nice case then?

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

smokeysevin wrote:So i should buy the board and connectors and just try to find a nice case then?

Sean
That sounds like your best option. Hammond has a few lines of watertight aluminum enclosures in all sorts of sizes:

http://www.hammondmfg.com/scpg.htm#wdiecast
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Thanks for the tip. Those cases look awesome. Do you have any advice for which board setup i should run? I want to run the ms3 but should i run the x expansion card as well? What all does it add?

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
myk777
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by myk777 »

FYI - The case I used in the link above is a Hammond 1550WGBK sourced from digikey for ~$24, very well made and a nice sealing system. I see they are out of stock but looks like mouser has them.

Mike
SymTech Laboratories
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by SymTech Laboratories »

smokeysevin wrote:Thanks for the tip. Those cases look awesome. Do you have any advice for which board setup i should run? I want to run the ms3 but should i run the x expansion card as well? What all does it add?

Sean
This page outlines the MS3X's features. There are certainly a lot of them, but you'll have to determine how useful they'll be for your project:

http://www.msextra.com/feature-xref.html
SymTech Laboratories, LLC ----- MSQ File Repository: megasquirt.symtechlabs.com
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I am hoping to sell my current ecu in the next week so I can get moving on this project.

I won't need
pins

The cam and crank sensors are magnetic sensors, the crank uses an 8 tooth wheel, the cam uses a single tooth that points at the sensor at tdc on the number one cylinder. I am thinking I can use the ampseal connectors but I need to figure out a way to send and receive data from the ecu while it is sealed, could I get an ampseal plug that can be adapted to a usb on the other end while being removable? I have decided to go with the standard Megasquirt 3.

Thanks

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Ordered my ecu through DIYautotune and I am hoping to get it in this week so I can measure for a case. I was wondering how best to make the ecu safe for severe shock or vibration though, can you pot the ecu with the sd card in it? Can you pot the ecu at all from a heat standpoint? Is there another way of ensuring the ecu continues to function even in really rough conditions? The plan now is to get the ecu in and clean up my current harness, from there I will be looking for a case and running ampseal connectors.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

smokeysevin wrote:I need to figure out a way to send and receive data from the ecu while it is sealed, could I get an ampseal plug that can be adapted to a usb on the other end while being removable? I have decided to go with the standard Megasquirt 3.
Hi, Sean. What I plan on doing with my ECUs is to include a 4-wire pigtail as part of the wiring coming off the main sealed connector plug; the corresponding pins on the board-side socket are connected (via a really short USB cable) to the MS3's USB port. This pigtail leads in turn to a 4-pin sealed female connector. I will include in the package two mating male connectors; one will be a dummy, with only sealing plugs in the wire sockets, while the other will be connected to a standard (non-sealed) USB cable that plugs into your laptop.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Here are the pictures of my setup.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
1498cc I-4