Tri-tach install on a Porsche 911 3.2L with 129+1 tooth help

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BenGTT
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Tri-tach install on a Porsche 911 3.2L with 129+1 tooth

Post by BenGTT »

I agree James.
That was just a general question, in case of a simple replacement of the oem ecu. :)

In my case, if single pin signal is ok, so is high speed signal, the only issue left is a wrong setup of the cam sensor. Poll level and correc level is not important here?
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Any updates? (Good or bad.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
BenGTT
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by BenGTT »

Hello James,

Yes, update. I tried a lot of things since the 22 of March, and finally decided to change the flywheel for a more standard 60-2 from a 964 RS.
Went back from Jean's 2.0 Dual VR (That is working fine !) to a LM1815 solution I am using on my board.
The car started immediatly with the OEM VR sensor and the cam sensor using dual wheel mode.
So I can now confirm there was no problem at all with the wiring, the "old" high count speed sensor and the cam sensor.

Honestly, I have absolutely no idea why it was not working, and in the next month I'll try again with the engine out of the car. For now, I have lost so many hours and the customer can't wait more..

The only thing I have found is on the old 129+1 flywheel, there was small 5mm balancing hole on the single pin trajectory, and maybe the sensor was seeing it ??

If you have any idea, you are welcome, because right now I don't.

Ben
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

Man, I'd kill to get this to work on my 3.2...

I want to ditch my 36-1 wheel, it's been nothing but hell with noise problems.

I'm so done with this thing after 5 years.
'87 Porsche 911 turbocharged (Borg Warner S366/1.4 bar) 3.4L w/MS2 v3.57 running Ford EDIS-6
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I gotta say... the 36-1 wheel is one of the easiest to get right. If you have problems with that, then 129+1 might be even worse. How about starting a fresh thread, with your MSQ/MSL and short description of the problems. A tooth-log, too, if your MSL shows a lot of sync-loss.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I completely agree. At the most basic level, if you're having noise problems with one trigger wheel and sensor, it's pretty unlikely the situation will improve with two wheels and sensors!

The only way I can see things improving is if the location of the 36-1 wheel (presumably on the damper) forces you to put the sensor or wiring in an electrically noisy location and the tri-tach turns out to be better because it's location (presumably on the flywheel) is different. But that's a big gamble... a much better bet would be to determine the source of the noise and deal with it appropriately.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

billr wrote:I gotta say... the 36-1 wheel is one of the easiest to get right. If you have problems with that, then 129+1 might be even worse. How about starting a fresh thread, with your MSQ/MSL and short description of the problems. A tooth-log, too, if your MSL shows a lot of sync-loss.
I've started too many threads with the key words cutting out with no resolve.

I care not to start another!

I've o-scoped, but not at high RPM and boost where the issues happen.
'87 Porsche 911 turbocharged (Borg Warner S366/1.4 bar) 3.4L w/MS2 v3.57 running Ford EDIS-6
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

elaw wrote:I completely agree. At the most basic level, if you're having noise problems with one trigger wheel and sensor, it's pretty unlikely the situation will improve with two wheels and sensors!

The only way I can see things improving is if the location of the 36-1 wheel (presumably on the damper) forces you to put the sensor or wiring in an electrically noisy location and the tri-tach turns out to be better because it's location (presumably on the flywheel) is different. But that's a big gamble... a much better bet would be to determine the source of the noise and deal with it appropriately.
Not quite, I would be using the OEM trigger, which should be free of noise susceptibility being designed by an EE.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

The factory triggering may have been designed by an EE but here's the catch....So was the conditioning circuitry in the factory ECU and they were designed to work together. You aren't using a factory ECU with that exact circuit, you are using a generic conditioner.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

prof315 wrote:The factory triggering may have been designed by an EE but here's the catch....So was the conditioning circuitry in the factory ECU and they were designed to work together. You aren't using a factory ECU with that exact circuit, you are using a generic conditioner.
Well, as you might know, my VR is running within a few inches from the alternator. The alternator is behind the cooling fan for air-cooled 911's. I cannot physically move the VR away from there since the alternator and crank are so close together.

Porsche used a toothed flywheel (129+1) instead of a crank trigger on the 84-89's and 60-2 FW on the 90-98's.

Point is, they never used a crank trigger.

So, if I were to get the 129+1 FW trigger to decode, I would have NO noise generating components near the input circuit like I do now. But, reading the max RPM MS2 and VR can generate, leads me to believe that I would have an issue above, say 4000RPM with breakup.

My only for sure option is to change out the FW to the uber expensive 90-98, which is very heavy too. :(
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Tippy wrote:Well, as you might know, my VR is running within a few inches from the alternator. The alternator is behind the cooling fan for air-cooled 911's. I cannot physically move the VR away from there since the alternator and crank are so close together.
That might be your explanation right there... alternators (and their wiring) can emit pretty powerful magnetic fields. Have you ever tried a Hall sensor instead of the VR? They can be less sensitive to external interference.
Tippy wrote:My only for sure option is to change out the FW to the uber expensive 90-98, which is very heavy too. :(
That's too bad because from a triggering perspective, it would be a great option. Is there any chance of getting a reasonably-priced used one and having it lightened?

Of course in general swapping a flywheel isn't nearly as easy as swapping a crank sensor... :?
Eric Law

Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

elaw wrote:
Tippy wrote:Well, as you might know, my VR is running within a few inches from the alternator. The alternator is behind the cooling fan for air-cooled 911's. I cannot physically move the VR away from there since the alternator and crank are so close together.
That might be your explanation right there... alternators (and their wiring) can emit pretty powerful magnetic fields. Have you ever tried a Hall sensor instead of the VR? They can be less sensitive to external interference.
Tippy wrote:My only for sure option is to change out the FW to the uber expensive 90-98, which is very heavy too. :(
That's too bad because from a triggering perspective, it would be a great option. Is there any chance of getting a reasonably-priced used one and having it lightened?

Of course in general swapping a flywheel isn't nearly as easy as swapping a crank sensor... :?
Hall has crossed my mind, but then I'd need magnets on the trigger wheel, no? Or can some read just ferrous metal? Going to Googles now...

Well, I was pulling the engine and trans anyways since my Kevlar clutch disc can no longer handle the additional power lately, so it wasn't any additional out of the way work to do this.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

No, a Hall sensor in the most generic sense would require magnets, but they make ones now designed for this exact purpose that don't... actually the sensor has a magnet in it. Wow that was a jumble of words but hopefully you understand! :?

Either of the two at the top of this list would work fine: https://www.diyautotune.com/?s=hall

...and actually they'd work with the 60-2 flywheel too. I think there are some here that would disagree, but I think Hall sensors are much easier to work with than VR... they're less finicky. The only downside is they require power so if you have an existing cable with only 2 conductors it would need to be replaced with 3-conductor.
Eric Law

Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

elaw wrote:No, a Hall sensor in the most generic sense would require magnets, but they make ones now designed for this exact purpose that don't... actually the sensor has a magnet in it. Wow that was a jumble of words but hopefully you understand! :?

Either of the two at the top of this list would work fine: https://www.diyautotune.com/?s=hall

...and actually they'd work with the 60-2 flywheel too. I think there are some here that would disagree, but I think Hall sensors are much easier to work with than VR... they're less finicky. The only downside is they require power so if you have an existing cable with only 2 conductors it would need to be replaced with 3-conductor.
So the ones from DIY would work with a 60-2 flywheel WITHOUT magnets?
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Absolulely! Assuming you can get the sensor to fit where it needs to go, of course.

If you're curious, here's a datasheet for a similar sensor: http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/elect ... et.pdf.pdf
Eric Law

Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

elaw wrote:Absolulely! Assuming you can get the sensor to fit where it needs to go, of course.

If you're curious, here's a datasheet for a similar sensor: http://www.littelfuse.com/~/media/elect ... et.pdf.pdf
Thank you Eric! I have a braided sheath that I am going to try from work first to see if I make a difference first before doing Hall. My EE coworkers use it to block noise with it on ad hoc, quick setups.

I would pull 5V from the TPSREF wire. Shouldn't be a problem.
Dennis930
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Dennis930 »

Tippy,

I am running an Electromotive 60-2 wheel and their VR sensor from my old crankfire set up. I have no issues with it. I did have to tweak the R52 and R56 pots on the V3.0 board at first. The wire itself is coaxial and is routed along the left side of the fan shroud and under the intake manifold to the left corner of the engine. The coaxial is carried on to MS3 via a 22 pin Weathershield connector, with the cable provided in the DIY MS3 wiring harness I bought when wiring the system. I also have 6 LS2 (514) coils mounted along the outside of the 3.2 Carrera intake runners for twin plug ignition that could be another source of EMI. Maybe the newer higher amp alternators with the built-in regulator are more noisy in your case.
Porsche 930 3.0 Slantnose
MS3/MS3X Sequential Injection & Spark, MS Knock, Dual plug, LS2 coils, Siemens 55 lb/hr HiZ injectors, ALM-ADV Wide Band,
Carrera Intake, Extrude honed, Ford 70mm Throttlebody, GTX3071R Turbo
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

Dennis930 wrote:Tippy,

I am running an Electromotive 60-2 wheel and their VR sensor from my old crankfire set up. I have no issues with it. I did have to tweak the R52 and R56 pots on the V3.0 board at first. The wire itself is coaxial and is routed along the left side of the fan shroud and under the intake manifold to the left corner of the engine. The coaxial is carried on to MS3 via a 22 pin Weathershield connector, with the cable provided in the DIY MS3 wiring harness I bought when wiring the system. I also have 6 LS2 (514) coils mounted along the outside of the 3.2 Carrera intake runners for twin plug ignition that could be another source of EMI. Maybe the newer higher amp alternators with the built-in regulator are more noisy in your case.
Hey Dennis,

I run left of alt to center by shock tower running underneath 3.2 intake where it terminates into the Ford EDIS module. I have some LS/truck coils lying on my bench I plan on doing one day.

If I go Hall or FW trigger, this will force me to go to them since the EDIS system would no longer work.

Not sure on the alternator, but I think its an 80A? I had it rebuilt with new bearings not to long ago.
Tippy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tippy »

With over 3000 views, I think it is time for Dr. Cortina to make this happen!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

A lot of views doesn't necessarily mean a lot of interest in using such a bastard system.