MS3 on Fiat 5cyl engine

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

flycat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3 on Fiat 5cyl engine

Post by flycat »

Hi!

Today a friend who has a Fiat Coupe 20V Turbo, asked me if you can use MS3 for his engine, he would like to do sequential injection and ignition speed density.

The firing order is 1-2-4-5-3.

I figured that the cycles are 144 ° apart so the engine should be an Even Fire.

Can i use MS3?

Bye, Luca
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 on Fiat 5cyl engine

Post by elaw »

There are a number of people here (myself included) using MS on 5-cylinder Audi and Volvo engines. 5-cylinder sequential injection and ignition is definitely doable with MS3, you'll probably want the MS3X card also.

The one question is the triggering setup... do you know any details of the factory crank (and cam if any) trigger signals on the Fiat engine? Or are you planning to supply your own trigger, like a 60-2 wheel?
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
flycat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flycat »

elaw wrote:There are a number of people here (myself included) using MS on 5-cylinder Audi and Volvo engines. 5-cylinder sequential injection and ignition is definitely doable with MS3, you'll probably want the MS3X card also.

The one question is the triggering setup... do you know any details of the factory crank (and cam if any) trigger signals on the Fiat engine? Or are you planning to supply your own trigger, like a 60-2 wheel?
Hi Eric, now I do not know what is on the crankshaft gear wheel, but does not bother me much, I had already thought of using a dual wheel configuration time, I think it's impossible without the use of two sequential signals, if need use the 60-2 or another trigger, i destroy the oem system and install the new parts :twisted:

Which hardware configuration do you use?

Bye, Luca
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

I'm actually using a special arrangement because the factory Audi system uses *3* triggers which Megasquirt doesn't support.

The Audi factory system uses a pretty conventional Hall cam sensor. But there are two VR sensors on the crank. One senses the 135 teeth on the ring gear for the starter. The other senses a pin on the back of the flywheel so it gives 1 pulse per revolution.

I'm using a special board made by Jean of JBPerf.com to take the two crank sensor outputs and generate a single signal that looks like a 45-1 tooth wheel. That signal and the cam signal then go to the Megasquirt.
Eric Law

flycat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flycat »

I have viewed the service manual of the car :RTFM: , it mount two sensor, hall with 1 teeth on cam and VR with 60-2 on crankshaft :!:

What you think? Is good?

Bye, Luca
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

That should work fine. Just look in the MS3 documentation for how to connect a VR crank sensor and a hall cam sensor. You'll have to determine the "tooth #1 angle", the documentation addresses that too.
Eric Law

savagerocco
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by savagerocco »

Nice that they made it that easy for you... you are more than half way there....... My crank sensor setup cost me around 400 bucks just for the parts.... And the other audi setup I got running on COP wasted sparked used the same board as eric and fooling the ms into thinking the motor was a v-10 and no cam sensor needed.
Brent Savage
life behind the zion curtain
90 audi RS2 20VTQ 6sp MS3, MSX COP and Sequential and now MAF
87 Scirocco 2.0 ABA 16v EIP tubular cast MSII COP
86 Audi 4K20VTQ MSII
90 Audi 90 sedan 3.6l DOHC V8TT (project car)
89 VW cabbie (bitch basket) 2.0 ABA Turbo MSII
flycat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flycat »

Thanks guys, i' have viewed this info:

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms3/trigger-wheel.htm

In the "Missing tooth crank wheel and single tooth cam wheel" paragraph, is present a similar configuration of the my friend engine (36-1 instead 60-2).

I did not think were that simple :)

Bye, Luca
flycat
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by flycat »

Hi guys!

After more time we have used a MS3 on a 5cyl engine, the car is Fiat Cuopè 20v turbo, max power with original ecu, 340hp, with MS 385hp, great :)

Any images from my friend SG Motorsport.
sg_coupe1.jpg
sg_coupe2.jpg
Bye, Luca