Sync Loss reason 17 or Reason 2

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Sync Loss reason 17 or Reason 2

Post by smokeysevin »

Currently working on rewiring everything and I had a question, I am tuning my EAE curves and I decided to look at my injector angle compared to the stock setup and I noticed that in my current setup the injectors point down at about 15-30 degrees steeper than the stock manifold and the injectors are about 1 inch further from the head than stock, is this a problem or will it not make much of a difference?

Thanks

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

smokeysevin wrote:Currently working on rewiring everything and I had a question, I am tuning my EAE curves and I decided to look at my injector angle compared to the stock setup and I noticed that in my current setup the injectors point down at about 15-30 degrees steeper than the stock manifold and the injectors are about 1 inch further from the head than stock, is this a problem or will it not make much of a difference?

Thanks

Sean
Hum...........Well that is hard to say, there are several things to consider, nozzle type and therefore spray pattern differences for one. Ideally you want the fuel to hit the backside of the closed intake valve as this ensures that all the fuel it turned into vapor for a complete burn. The angle change "may" hurt that more than having the injector futher away from the head if you are saying that the injector is not into the intake stream as much now as before. Do you have a different intake than stock now? What I am asking is how did the angle change? Is it possible to point the injector more at the intake valve? Also check the holes in the injector so see if they are similar in pattern, other than that not sure what you could do to be more "stock like" with the larger injectors. I guess you could reinstall the stock injectors and retune to see what difference it makes in response/pulling under load, but sounds like that may not be just a drop in replacement change so therefore not a good comparsion.

sorry if this isn't much help, I have only run the stock injectors BUT I did send my set off to Witch Doctors to have them cleaned and flow checked.
later steve
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Stock manifold is a single plenum and currently I have ITBs, the injectors are the same type but larger volume.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Little update, I got some more parts in this week. It's going to be a hell of a lot better this time.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Looks good, will this help with the logging using TS?

later wd
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

It should help a few things, I'll be using new factory connectors on the harness side as well as changing the ground setup and shielding the IAT, clt, and tps, which were not shielded before. The usb will get a dedicated and separate plug and the Bluetooth module (tested already with great results) will help with tuning and logging.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Halfway there. The 2 yellow wires are for ignition 7 and 8 and will connect to the other plug. This will support 8 cylinder spark and fuel in full sequential mode. The different color heat shrink denotes signal type. Yellow is spark, blue is fuel, red is sensor or switch input, and black is ground or ground switch. All wires are txl 20 awg stranded copper, labeled with pin number and function every 6 inches from DIYautotune. I will be finishing up the ms3 plug this week, I was short one ground wire on the plug so I have not finished bundling it yet. I also need to decide if I am going to keep the bluetooth module in the ecu case or if I am going to pot it in silicone and stick it outside the box. other than that I think I will add the realtime clock and maybe add the fuses and relays internally so that all i need to do is add power and ground and I can move it between vehicles more easily.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Finishing up.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

More.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Last one for now.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Good work !!! very neat wiring ! What did you decided on the bluetooth? Seems to me that it would be better outside the case?

later wd
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I have not made a decision yet. It does not work at all in the case unless the antenna is out. I'd rather not add any extra holes this time so I might pot it and use it externally.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I think that I figured out why my accel enrich curves were so weird, I had my throttle bodies upside down. The injectors basically pointed at the wall of the port instead of down it.

This should help a little but, I am still waiting for some connectors to finish the wiring harness.

I also think I will be running the bluetooth module potted in silicone outside the main ecu case, I have already shrink wrapped it so if I ever need to I can get it apart to set it.

As it sits now I am much happier with my wiring than I was before.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

I know what you mean with wiring, I redid mine a couple of times before this last rev which I am much happier with.

Good catch on the TBs being upside down, having the spray hitting the wall instead of the backside of the intake valve will effect fueling quite a bit, so you will have to retune but you knew that.

On the bluetooth, won't you have to get to the sync button sometimes? Just saying might be something to think about if you haven't.

Good work on the wiring, what I have seen is top notch work.

later wd
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I have not had to use the button but that is a good point, I have the entire thing heat shrunk now because the standard case was too big for my old box. I guess I could pot it and put a little length of acrylic rod in the silicone while its curing to push the button.

I am quite sure the injector problem was part of why the idle was unstable.

I will just have to fire it up and see when its done.

Thank you for the compliment, I am trying to be as neat as I can.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
Kennyx
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Kennyx »

Wow...waterproof casing ?
btw, you need to tune injector angle carefully to compensate wall wetting issue ..

Regards
KennyX
Endless learning on every kind of New Technology
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I just flipped the throttle body assembly over so it should be good now, yep waterproof done right, I'm even using an external map sensor this time.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

New toys

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
wrenchdad
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by wrenchdad »

Awwww....shiny !!! Haven't been driving my squirted car since the starter has been acting up so much and making me have to push start it. Been driving my new toy, 2004 Mini Cooper S ( Supercharged ) 6 Speed. much fun !!!!!!!!!!!!

That ICV will help a lot with your always turning prop.

later wd
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Minis are great I have 2011 cooper s manual. They might not be fast in a straight line but they are so much fun.

Sean
1498cc I-4
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors