How does MS3 Control Water Injection

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: How does MS3 Control Water Injection

Post by Tjabo »

That's fantastic, thanks!

In light of the fact that you got that much flow variation with good atomization, and that I'm probably going to be injecting pre-compressor which will alleviate atomization issues even more, I think I will follow your lead and work toward PWM'ing the pump. Even if I have to pick up a solid state relay, no big deal. I'll be running MS3X, so I'm not sure if that leaves mainboard injector drivers available or not. I will pay attention to that as I solder. :D

If I end up wanting to go to multi-port water/methanol injection, then maybe I'll think about a fast acting valve again. Good to know Howerton still carries them, I would like to deal with him.

I appreciate the info!
--'98 Dodge Neon ACR Turbo - MS3 beta test car - Sold
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

As long as you aren't doing staged injection or sequential V10 the 2 mainboard injector drivers on an MS3/3X should be free. Note that you CAN'T do this with an MS3-Pro based ECU. But as you note an SSR with a 15A or greater current capacity should work too.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Excellent, thanks!
--'97 BMW 540i/6spd - Single Front/Top Mount Turbo 550+ HP - MS3+MS3X V3.0 - Sold but ripping in Vegas
--'97 BMW 328i 5.3 L33/TH400 Swapped drift car - MS3+MS3X V3.0 Full Sequential - Turbos And Radiator In the Trunk 9.6@144 on a 1.55 60ft
shainiac
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by shainiac »

There are several people using the mainboard injector drivers to PWM neg side of water meth pumps.
Be aware that the flow from the diaphragm pumps are not quite linear. See the attached photo for the flow curve of an AEM pump and 500cc nozzle. There's not much going on below 20% DC.
AEM makes a Failsafe Water Meth Flowmeter (30-3020) that measures water meth flow and can output a signal if it is above or below the expected flow (leak or clog) which could be used for tableswitching to a safe boost map. It also outputs a 0-5V signal that could be data logged.
1988 RX-7 TII
MS3Pro Ultimate
5.3L sbe LS, T56 Mag, 8.8" IRS
Twin EFR 6758s
716whp/662wtq
Tjabo
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Tjabo »

Good info, thanks!!
brnwaxa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by brnwaxa »

prof315 wrote:
2Lucky2tha7 wrote:I've been searching for any information pertaining to utilizing water injection but I have not been able to find what I'm looking for. I understand how the MS can drive the pump and all and I would actually prefer to set it up to be at full pressure as opposed to varying the pressure, but what if someone wants to use the MS to be able to control an injector or 2 via pwm instead of using a fixed nozzle and in turn wants to be able to tune the injector accordingly to tune the water/meth mixture? Unfortunately there is very little if any documentation regarding water injection hence why I am asking this in the forum. Any advice, info or direction would be greatly appreciated!
Have you read through this whole thread? Also you don't use an injector with water/methanol injection but you can use a fast acting valve ( like an injector but made for the water and methanol both of which would corrode a normal injector) and control it with PWM to vary your flow rate.
prof315 Thanks for what you have shared. I am new, I have a MS3-Pro, Borg Warner EFR 7163 going on a Ford 4.9. I have researched WMI forward and backward. Maybe you can help. I would like to control the WMI via a valve. I do not completely understand the MS3-Pro Water Injection set up as described on page 240 section 7.8.16 .

• Valve style - select
– "Off" - no valve output (used fixed nozzle)
– "Slow" - slow speed valve output with chosen PWM duty cycle
– "Fast" - valve switches at injector speed with chosen PWM duty cycle
• Valve Output - output pin to control water valve.
• Frequency - selects the output frequency to the valve. (Slow mode only.)

The way I understand this is if you choose "Slow" then you also choose a frequency and then have the pulse width vary. But id you choose "Fast" it will be at injector frequency which would be 50hz for a 4 stroke and 6000 rpm.in addition you would vary the pulse width just like a fuel injector is operated. Am I correct so far? I contacted Aquamist about their fast acting valve and was told it was designed for a frequency of 25-30 hz fixed. So this would require the setting to be set to "Slow" and the user would also choose the fixed frequency there also. Correct? In what situation/scenario would the "Fast" selection be used? In my research I did not find a valve that would work at 50hz. I would guess the result is that it would reach a point it stayed open. Now to using fuel injectors for WMI. I have heard it will not work but I have not heard that from anyone that had tried it. I am seriously considering it even if it requires periodic replacement. That said I would hope for a year minimum. I have heard form an injector supplier that the newest best products do not corrode is they are designed for E85. He did say he thought wear would be the issue instead because of the lack of lubrication from the gasoline. What are the thoughts out there?

Bill brnwaxa
brnwaxa
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by brnwaxa »

prof315 Thanks for what you have shared. I am new, I have a MS3-Pro, Borg Warner EFR 7163 going on a Ford 4.9. I have researched WMI forward and backward. Maybe you can help. I would like to control the WMI via a valve. I do not completely understand the MS3-Pro Water Injection set up as described on page 240 section 7.8.16 .

• Valve style - select
– "Off" - no valve output (used fixed nozzle)
– "Slow" - slow speed valve output with chosen PWM duty cycle
– "Fast" - valve switches at injector speed with chosen PWM duty cycle
• Valve Output - output pin to control water valve.
• Frequency - selects the output frequency to the valve. (Slow mode only.)

The way I understand this is if you choose "Slow" then you also choose a frequency and then have the pulse width vary. But id you choose "Fast" it will be at injector frequency which would be 50hz for a 4 stroke and 6000 rpm.in addition you would vary the pulse width just like a fuel injector is operated. Am I correct so far? I contacted Aquamist about their fast acting valve and was told it was designed for a frequency of 25-30 hz fixed. So this would require the setting to be set to "Slow" and the user would also choose the fixed frequency there also. Correct? In what situation/scenario would the "Fast" selection be used? In my research I did not find a valve that would work at 50hz. I would guess the result is that it would reach a point it stayed open. Now to using fuel injectors for WMI. I have heard it will not work but I have not heard that from anyone that had tried it. I am seriously considering it even if it requires periodic replacement. That said I would hope for a year minimum. I have heard form an injector supplier that the newest best products do not corrode is they are designed for E85. He did say he thought wear would be the issue instead because of the lack of lubrication from the gasoline. What are the thoughts out there?

Bill brnwaxa