Oil Temp Genaric Input & Rev limit

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Shagspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Oil Temp Genaric Input & Rev limit

Post by Shagspeed »

So I see I can set my MS3X ADC13 to a spare input where I can use another temp sensor for Oil Temp.. I have lost 2 engines from high oil temp's on my Nissan SR20 out in the desert .. Its hard to keep track of gauges when driving in such an erratic environment .. What would be the best way to go about maybe imposing a rev limit on oil temps nearing dangerous level's ??
Chris Allen
IG: @ShagSpeed
Facebook: http://facebook.com/shagspeed
Crazy2287
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Oil Temp Genaric Input & Rev limit

Post by Crazy2287 »

outside the MS3 you could use a simple anologue circuit to flick a relay and cause and action once the temperature dependent resistor reached a given value.

retarding timing wont really drop your eng temps, if anything it will give you very high exhaust temps. you would want either a hard cut (fuel and spark) or warning and staged engine cutout to properly protect form high oil temps. IMO.
*insert witty comment here*
Shagspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Shagspeed »

Well it looks like I can do it in software with generic input that drives a generic output.. Maybe a relay that controls coil ground.. But I will need a manual switch bypass for emergency to quickly park somewhere I wont get stuck.. That's the best I can come with... Generic inputs should in the future be able to control rev cut with a TPS bypass .... Darn I wish I could code .. Need to learn. Sigh ..
Chris Allen
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

How about wiring the oil temp sensor as your CLT sensor and using the existing CLT-based rev limiting? The oil temp and coolant temp are generally similar in their action (although oil temp is probably slower-reacting), so all the WUE and other stuff based on CLT would probably be OK. If not, then use a time-delay relay to switch from CLT to oil sensor after the few minutes of warm-up time.
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

I'm using an oil temp sensor as a CLT and have had good luck so far.

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors
Shagspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Shagspeed »

Yah but I didn't want to give up one safety for another .. I understand the limitations at this point but maybe it could make it to a further release .. For now I have to just keep an eye on it and maybe it will not be a problem anyways as now I'm running a cooler on the new motor .. Oil temps would go in to the 315deg range on friends cars who road race the same engine.. Way too high.
Chris Allen
Shagspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Shagspeed »

Ohh also water temp I never seen above 185 but oil can go in the 300-315 range.. I just need some way to know.. Maybe a warning light or siren connected to both CLT and OLT
Chris Allen
wargen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by wargen »

Hi i have the same issue on my bike, to much to keep track off, so i connected the oil temp to ms and use some of the generic output to drive a led in cockpit, but you cannot make a sum of alarm to same port then it will be an config error so i put 3 alarms output to same led(ground) and have warning from 3 sensors...temp, oil and oil pressure in the same led, Hope it helps you...
RC45 RC46 Turbo everyday bike MSIII full seq , RC45 Race bike NC35 Race bike
WestfieldMX5
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by WestfieldMX5 »

Bring the oil temp in on an analogue input. Take a resistor and connect one end to the CLT line. Connect the other end to a general purpose output. This puts the 2nd resistor parallel over the CLT sensor. Now activate the output when the input (oil temp) goes over a set value. The CLT will immediately indicate high temp and your CLT set rev limiter will kick in.
The value of the resistor depends on the type of CLT sensor of course. Mine is in the 200ohm range at 100°C. In my case, a 2nd 200 ohm resistor (in parallel that results to 100ohm) would make CLT temps skyrocket.
This way you keep a normal functioning CLT sensor and the ability to activate the rev limiter with oil temp.
2016 Westfield SEiW MX5 1.8 - 6sp - Torsen - MSM turbo - MS3 Pro - 2.3kg/hp