How to build a digital electric wiring diagram!?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Boele
MS/Extra Newbie

How to build a digital electric wiring diagram!?

Post by Boele »

Hi Guys,

I want to build a wiring diagram for my MS-project. Searched a lot, is there any template available? Is a lot of the same schematics..
This is what i mean:
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: How to build a digital electric wiring diagram!?

Post by Ollie8974 »

Save yourself the hassle purchase the assembled harness here.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/wiri ... -c-28.html
Boele
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boele »

Could be possible. I want to write a scheme by myself!
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

IMHO the trick is a balance between recognising each component and the minimum size - and being able to follow the wiring easily. And, of course, for your own use only, it's a matter of personal preference.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
Boele
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boele »

I think I wasn't precisely; I'm looking for software for automotive wire schemes. I see you are using Procad, is it easy to use? I prefer Osx....

Regards. Boele
DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

I use ProCAD+ and RISC OS - it's what I first used, and the devil you know...
Draftsight has some links to free libraries of symbols etc - but I haven't researched them. I just made my own as needed.
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
walterclark1
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by walterclark1 »

I dont know of a tool that creates "automotive" wiring diagrams. Most software aimed at electronic design, such as Eagle, assumes your schematic diagrams will lead to a PCB layout. There are are newer ones like KiCAD that do similar and I understand they are easier to use and stopping at the diagram is not a problem.

The devil you know is where I am. Been using TurboCAD for years now. It is a general purpose CAD tool - OK for anything from a house blueprint to a wiring diagram - but nowhere near as powerful as newer stuff - limited rendering, no checking, amateurish libraries. However I can create and edit drawings in my sleep with it and despite going a few rounds with much more modern tools, I find myself going back to it for general drafting work.
A2 VW GTI 9A - MS3/3X
Boele
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boele »

Tried Eagle today, quite difficult for a non-electronic guy. Great challenge though..
Anyway, paper and a pen did the job :lol:
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

'Schematic capture' is what it's called. I could recommend various schematic capture packages I use for when I'm doing PCB design, but the trouble with these (as has already been pointed out) is that they are intended for PCB design and placing symbols involves working with selecting from (or defining new) library components, because what you're essentially doing is defining an underlying netlist and set of footprints, etc. The work and learning curve may be a little steep and not necessary considering all you want to do is draw a schematic.

What I recommend is you download Inkscape which is a completely free vector graphics application, kind of equivalent to Adobe Illustrator. It's available for Linux or Windows and I use it a hell of a lot (for example all of MSDroid's gauge graphics are created using it).
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

Boele
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Boele »

Trev16v wrote:'Schematic capture' is what it's called. I could recommend various schematic capture packages I use for when I'm doing PCB design, but the trouble with these (as has already been pointed out) is that they are intended for PCB design and placing symbols involves working with selecting from (or defining new) library components, because what you're essentially doing is defining an underlying netlist and set of footprints, etc. The work and learning curve may be a little steep and not necessary considering all you want to do is draw a schematic.

What I recommend is you download Inkscape which is a completely free vector graphics application, kind of equivalent to Adobe Illustrator. It's available for Linux or Windows and I use it a hell of a lot (for example all of MSDroid's gauge graphics are created using it).
Thanks! Also available for mac I see. Will download it. Are there electric symbol included, or should I google them?
Trev16v
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Trev16v »

You'd have to draw them yourself I'm afraid, unless you can find some readily drawn SVG electrical symbols online anywhere. It's a general vector graphics program so doesn't really have a library of symbols as such.
Golf MK2 G60 Syncro with 16VG60 on MSNS-E

MSDroid :: MegaSquirt tuning on Android

DaveEFI
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by DaveEFI »

That's why I like ProCad+ so much. You can trace its linage back to the original Acorn !Draw which I first learned - and it doesn't have an intimidating number of facilities on screen, like so many others. But does have a very comprehensive library which is easy to add to. I like the idea of DraftSight, but don't find it anything like as intuitive to use. But as I said, the devil you know...
Rover SD1 3.5 EFI
MS2 V3
EDIS
Tech Edge O2
London UK.
smokeysevin
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by smokeysevin »

Cool I will be checking this out.

Sean
2005 Kawasaki STX-15f Jetski
1498cc I-4
12.5:1 CR
46mm throttle bodies
ported head
Ferrea valves
38# injectors