information about the overdwell problem ls2 d585 coils

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: information about the overdwell problem ls2 d585 coils

Post by JAM »

Interesting.

I know the knock off brands are cheap probably made in china, but I always thought that if rock auto is selling the delco coil for 65$ and the ebay version is 100$/8 coil set.... that is a pretty big gap all things considered... but what do i know. And there is the element of quality control from day to day.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

There seems to be a bit of variation even on the OEM coils... I have a couple cylinders that shut down randomly if the dwell gets <~3.2 ms.
I'm beginning to suspect that's my idle glitch, or at least some of it.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

For probably "underdwell" effects on LS2 coils, see http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 31#p362931

Note the actual dwell/voltage is smack in the middle of the specs for the std LS2 coils.
Still, a couple of the coils still don't like it, but work great with just a hair more dwell.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
JAM
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by JAM »

I am battling a problem with my setup (using this coil) seems to be at least somewhat related to dwell and/or possibly could be sub-par quality version of coils.

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 40#p362940