4age 20v wont start

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PatrickLewis
Helpful MS/Extra'er

4age 20v wont start

Post by PatrickLewis »

Hey everybody, Ive got a 20v 4age blacktop running an ms3x and i cant get it to start.

I am running a hall sensor and 36-1 wheel, no cam input, and i get a good rpm signal. I am running four 1zz coils and factory blacktop injectors, all of which are run off the 3X card. I have fuel and spark, cam timing is correct. I have been able to get it to run, barely and very rough, by holding the throttle bodies at about half throttle. Sometimes it pops out the intake, sometimes it pops out the exhaust. The plugs are black and covered with fuel, so naturally I thought it was getting too much fuel. Is 9.9ms too much? I've tried leaning it out, going all the way down to 5.0ms on my required fuel, and it didn't get any better.

Any thoughts? I am sure i'm just missing something stupid and most likely obvious to the more experienced users here, I have attached my current msq and a composite logger from a cranking attempt today.

PatrickLewisTune.msq
2013-06-02_18.22.03.csv
slow_hemi6
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 4age 20v wont start

Post by slow_hemi6 »

Probably check basic things like the correct output is driving the correct coil for the firing order you have put in, check that tooth no1 is at the 75btdc you have entered. I see you have it set to fixed timing 10 degrees and crank dwell of 3.5mS is that what you wanted? Set that trigger angle/offset to 0 when using wheel decoder.
Find the Manuals up top under Quick links: Manuals. :RTFM:
Cheers Luke
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Do you have the coils wired to correct drivers?

A => cyl #1
B => cyl #3
C => cyl #4
D => cyl #2
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Well, the composite log shows a good RPM signal with no loss of sync. Can you post a conventional data log? The composite log is a special purpose tool for diagnosing RPM input problems.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
PatrickLewis
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PatrickLewis »

thanks for the replies, Billr was right i had the outputs wired wrong.
choyr
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by choyr »

sorry to bump the thread, but can you share your msq? we have almost the same specs, I only have the stock CAS distributor timing. Thanks!