MS3 Pro Module - firmware loading issues.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

MS3 Pro Module - firmware loading issues.

Post by piubrazil »

I received a MS3 Pro module from DIY Autotune and started to make my plug and play for a 1994 3000GT. After get the board done, I tried to load pre 1.3 Alpha 7 on the processor, but the board do not respond to the firmware loader. The computer see the USB-serial port, but MS3 Pro module do not answer to the loader running on the computer. Looks like the processor don't have the bootloader installed.
Looking better at the board, the place of BDM connector and bootloader jumper are empty as in the picture below.

I did hook the 12V supply and a usb adapter made to load the firmware before the instalation in the car, but looks like the board are dead... no sign of life...

I also have a MS3 Pro that came with a 1.2 firmware loaded, and I upgraded to Alpha 7 without any issues. I opened the case of Ms3 Pro and found the BDM connector and boot jumper pupulated.

Any suggestions?

Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 Pro Module - firmware loading issues.

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I don't have any experience with the MS3Pro module but the fact that the BDM header is not populated is not an indication that the bootloader has not been installed. If you look at the picture on the DIYAutotune site you'll see that there is no BDM header on there either. I do make boards that use the BDM and I don't populate the header because it's not needed if you use a pogo pin header to load the bootloader. It's also not populated on the Microsquirt module either.

Have you checked to see if there is 5V on the board? Have you tried to short the boot jumper? Have you tried the serial port instead of the USB port?

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Didn't try the serial port yet... I'll try it for now.
The 5V are Ok.
Tried boot jumper and did not make any diference.
I traced the communication after the FT232RL and the 115.200 baud signal is Ok. Just have not response from the processor.
Is there a way to trace if the processor is alive or just without bootloader?
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Check what state the fuel pump and spark outputs are in.

We had a couple of the early MS3-Pro Modules accidentally ship without the bootloader. We have changed our procedures so they are now marked with a sticker only after being loaded with the bootloader, and no modules ship without the sticker, to make sure this doesn't happen again. However, the bootloader is loaded using spring loaded pins, so a missing bootloader header does not automatically mean the bootloader is missing.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Tested with serial por... Didn't work

The pump output is steady in 12V
All sparks outputs are in low level.

With the scope, I can see a clean 8Mhz signal at the crystal pins, wich suggest the processor is not dead. I think the processor is not programmed.

The board have a stick dated 01/2013, I guess the board is one of the first batches.

If is the case, how can I program the bootloader in the processor?
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

piubrazil wrote:If is the case, how can I program the bootloader in the processor?
You'll need to return it to your supplier for that.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Unfortunately, the process of send it to DIY Autotune is almost impossible, due to burocracy of the import/export Brazil's law... If I send it to USA, I would need to pay another import tax, and it's almost 100% of the value of the goods. Unpraticable...

Matt, tell me I will not end up with a 850,00 paper weight, please...
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

"Return for repair - value = $20", or "Warranty replacement"

I can't speak for Brazil, but that works for a lot of countries ...
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm sure that are legal ways of dealing with this but the forum is not the best place to do this. Direct communication between the vendor and client is the only way to do this in my opinion.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

dontz125 wrote:"Return for repair - value = $20", or "Warranty replacement"

I can't speak for Brazil, but that works for a lot of countries ...
We normally put some sort of note along the lines that it is a warranty repair, previously purchased goods returned for repairs, or the like on the customs declaration. You can email us directly if you need a specific wording.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Well... I freeze just thinking in my goods passing thru the import customs... Believe me, this just doesn´t work the right way here in Brazil. Once I had to replace a bearing from the gearbox of this 3000GT and the only place I found it to buy was 3SX.com. The bearing was sent to me, and when the bearing came to the customs hands, I had to send them even the property certificate of the car, a proof of this part would be used in this car, a declaration of the Mitsu that this bearing was not availabe to Brazilian through their shops and a lot more of burocracy, just for a 40,00 part... No to say the 2 months waiting for their goodwill...

Well, once I programing the boot loader myself is not an option, and send it back to DIY also not, what if I replace the processor by an already programmed processor pulled from a MS3 daughter card? Would it work?
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
juansh2385
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by juansh2385 »

This is just an idea but maybe is worth taking into consideration.
Is your internet conecction good in brazil Luiz? How about remote accessing. Maybe the diyautotune support team can install the boot loader from the states online with a direct link to your computer.

Juan
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

piubrazil wrote:Well, once I programing the boot loader myself is not an option, and send it back to DIY also not, what if I replace the processor by an already programmed processor pulled from a MS3 daughter card? Would it work?
It is different, but that might be an option worth following up with DIYA on whether they could supply just a pre-programmed CPU.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
piubrazil
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by piubrazil »

Hi James!
Before I see your note about the processors being different, I replaced the suspect processor by one pulled from a MS3 Daughter card.

Funny note:

Ready to testing.

I didn't get the communication with Tuner Studio, but the pump relay, prime pulse and PWM output then worked, wich gave me happy feelings. Tracing the communication signal, I found the route is different between MS3 daughter and MS3 Pro. MS3 Daughter uses pins 89 and 90 for rx-tx and Pro uses pins 90 and 91. Obviously wouldn't work. After change back the processor again between boards, I loaded MS3 PRO firmware into MS3 daughter card to see if the communication pins was defined by firmware loaded, but didn't get positive results, wich make me think the comm. pins are defined by the bootloader.

So I had to make an annoing decision... I had a brand new MS3 PRO and decided to pull out it's processor and solder it into pro module... At this time I was desperate to make the car run, because it has been for two months taking space in the shop.

The Pro-module ready to test and the MS3 Pro already without it's processor.

Well, after replacing the processor by third time, now by the one pulled from the MS3 PRO, I finally got the module up and running. The tuner studio was now communicating with the board and I was able to start the engine. After a quick setup in the wheel parameters, injectors and programmable outputs, the engine started on the first cranking!

I did the job because I wouldn't have time enough to wait the solution by DIYA and now I have sure the board made is ok.
I now it can looks invasive to replace the processors and could ruin the boards if it was done by a not skilled person, but I posted the pics just to show I did know whats I was doing and would not f*** the boards up.

Now I can make the turbo piping and exhaust and shorten the time to finish the car, while wait by DIYA to solve the chip problem. I'll contact Matt and ask for the possibility of a pre-programmed processor shipped by mail.
Luiz Henrique - Piu
São Paulo
Brazil
slyrye
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by slyrye »

Do you need to burn your Bluetooth module firmware or the vendor sells it fully programmed at all?
MSnS'n'4G15