Mercedes 12cyl MS3 / MS3X timing question

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Mercedes 12cyl MS3 / MS3X timing question

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I have my car running smoothly on Megasquirt 3 & MS3X. Right now the car is running great using semi-sequential fuel only on Megasquirt and the ignition and knock is still handled by the Mercedes ECU's. Phase two is to add coil near plug ignition by adding GM LS1 coils and a trigger wheel in place of one of the distributor's on the front of the cams. At that time I'll go fully sequential fuel as well. My question is this, is there a way to set the timing without adding a temporary coil near plug and a grounded spark plug and using a wasted spark setting? I have not checked timing yet, since I'm only doing semi-sequential fuel only with multiple squirts per cycle is there any advantage to setting timing at this point? I would like to get the timing set before continuing with my tune. If I need to build a temporary spark setup to accomplish this now would be the time before I continue work on my tune and advanced idle settings.

Here is my build information.
MS3, MS3X, 4 channel driver board.
two GM cable driven throttle bodies using one of the integral idle stepper valves and blocking off the other and using one of the throttle position sensors and removing the other. A solid connecting rod ties the two throttle bodies together.
GM coolant temp sensor
GM air temp sensor
36-1 crank wheel and hall sensor
Innovate LC1 wideband O2 sensor
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Mercedes 12cyl MS3 / MS3X timing question

Post by Matt Cramer »

Tinkers Toy wrote:I have my car running smoothly on Megasquirt 3 & MS3X. Right now the car is running great using semi-sequential fuel only on Megasquirt and the ignition and knock is still handled by the Mercedes ECU's. Phase two is to add coil near plug ignition by adding GM LS1 coils and a trigger wheel in place of one of the distributor's on the front of the cams. At that time I'll go fully sequential fuel as well. My question is this, is there a way to set the timing without adding a temporary coil near plug and a grounded spark plug and using a wasted spark setting?
The LS coils are a CNP design, so they're straightforward to get a timing light on.
I have not checked timing yet, since I'm only doing semi-sequential fuel only with multiple squirts per cycle is there any advantage to setting timing at this point?
The Mercedes ECU is controlling the timing now - is there any method of adjusting the timing at present?
Last edited by Matt Cramer on Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

No, the timing is all locked down by the Mercedes ignition ECU's and not adjustable. Eventually I will switch and allow MS & MS3X to control spark but right now the Mercedes Ignition modules appear to be working fine so I'm piggybacking those and just doing fuel. I'll check the timing with my light and see if the advance looks as expected but everything appears normal and running smoothly. Eventually I'll switch when the ignition modules or caps and rotors need maintenance, these Mercedes parts are astronomically expensive and make the conversion very cost effective. If I need to invest in a bank of coils to check MS timing then that's what I'll have to do. Eventually I'll need them anyway.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Adding a temporary coil is about the only easy way that I can think of.

If you were running sequential fuel, you might be able to hook an inductive strobe up to injector A for a similar result.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Tinkers Toy
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Tinkers Toy »

I never resolved setting the timing while doing fuel only but I installed phase2 and abandoned the Mercedes ignition, now I run 12ea. LS2 D585 coils. Setting the timing couldn't be simpler once I was using MS to control ignition as well as fuel.