Twin LS motors in a streamliner?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Twin LS motors in a streamliner?

Post by brianj5600 »

A friend of mine is looking to build a streamliner for standing mile and looking for EFI options. He is planning solidly coupled turbo LS motors. He and his partner both have built production based vehicles for Bonneville and standing mile, but never something like this. It would be much simpler with one ECU. Can one MS3/3x reliably cover that? If 2 boxes are needed, should they be linked to each other?
1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3.0 3x, c4, 8.8, ls coils, e85
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Twin LS motors in a streamliner?

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Some people run 2 independent ECUs on a V12 (as did some OEMs) so I would think that using 2 ECUs on two engines would be the best solution especially if you want to run sequential injection and ignition.

Contacting someone like Scott Clark (dieselgeek) would also be a good idea.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I agree with Jean.
If there was hardware to support it, the MS3 firmware could do 16cyl fuel and spark. However.. as these are two discrete engines then using two ECUs is likely to work better. Otherwise, any twisting of mounts or powertrain coupling could misalign the engines and throw the spark timing off.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
brianj5600
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by brianj5600 »

Thanks for the replies. That is the kind of the answers I thought I would get.
1967 Mustang Coupe, 351w, S475 turbo, MS3.0 3x, c4, 8.8, ls coils, e85
dieselgeek
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by dieselgeek »

Just saw this.

I have a lot of Bonneville experience, if you want to continue the discussion. I think there are ways of pulling off running both engines with one ECU, if the engines are going to be guaranteed coupled at the crankshaft (aren't there vibration/harmonic concerns then?)

I go to speed week every year, usually crewing for Lee Sicilio. He runs megasquirt-3 in both his '69 Dodge Charger Daytona cars - the orange ones. One has held A/Pro (he runs EFI to get out of Classic) and the other holds the BG/ALT record at 277.xx. I'd love to help you out and I'd be available at the event for support in case you run into troubles. I carry spare parts too (there are a growing group of Landracing MS'ers, you should get to know them)

I also tune a number of other EFI systems if you go the Holley or Motec route (two others comparable to MS3), but best performance for the dollar spent is right here. I can also provide references if you want to talk to actual car owners/drivers and tell you what they think of their MS ECUs and the community who support it.

-Scott
Squirted: it's easier to list the ones I haven't squirted. I need to do more motorcycle engines!