Baro Correction Curves

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Baro Correction Curves

Post by sedd »

I am looking to set up my baro correction and would like to see some curves from those who already have good curves entered. I believe If I see the msq I can gather up that info.

On a related item, after considerable searches and reading of posts, I am confused as to the general adjustment that takes place. In a recent response to a post of mine, I think I was told that the pulse width needs to be adjusted lower as a person goes up in elevation. For a given VE point, with the same map and rpm as the lower elevation, the amount of fuel injected at the higher elevation will have to be lower. The baro reading is smaller, and it appears there is less air cylinder filling efficiency.

I noticed and enjoyed reading the huge amount of effort about this item and wonder if there is any conclusion to be drawn?
1970 Chevelle, 540 big block, AFR heads, headers, mild cam
MS3 release 1.4.0, sequential fuel, LS2 coil per plug
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
masterx81
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Baro Correction Curves

Post by masterx81 »

From my experience in my engine i've had to remove 7.5% of fuel every 15 kpa. So il at 100kpa of baro i have 100% of fuel, at 85kpa (~1400mt) i need 7.5% less fuel. With this rule i've also done a travel to 2000mt without any change in afr.
Enrico
Opel/Vauxhall Corsa GSi MS2
Subaru v4 EJ20 MS3
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

thanks masterx81,

So far your straight line is very close to the square root of the pressure ratio curve. The square root of the pressure ratio is used in orifice gas flow equations so maybe that is the general type of curve? More "real" correction data might support or add to your data. I have plotted this on a graph with other data and will repost that once (I hope) I get other data.
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05
sedd
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sedd »

I found an article by Delphi Engineers that was very informative. For me it gave the answers to questions about what is affecting the VE as the baro changes.

I created a spreadsheet that uses the information for a naturally aspirated engine and set it up to allow for evaluation of settings that must be decided upon. I placed some information I was given and some I found on the net on it, to compare to the calculated values. There appears to be a pretty good match. More actual versus calculated data is needed.

Both back pressure and an exponent needs to be decided upon. At the same time there is not a huge difference in the curves with variation in settings chosen, also shown by the spreadsheet.

Go to the internet and search on 2009-01-0587, and look for the .pdf version or look for the Delphi site and find it there.

In summary, there is an equation they offer that uses exhaust pressure and intake MAP with the baro to come up with a correction for the baro. that was used for setting up the spreadsheet. I also used the suggested value for the exponent.

This is a good read for turbo charged engines and might help out that effort quite a bit.

If it is decided that this equation and curves are useful and a good fit to what really works, there is another correction that could be made to reflect the change in exhaust backpressure with VE or with RPM, and to use that to further make corrections on the baseline curve. Since the curves are nearly straight lines a simple multiplier can be entered for any given VE. I feel VE should reflect backpressure in a linear way?
Tuner Studio MS V3.0.05