Hard Starting

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

spow11
MS/Extra Newbie

Hard Starting

Post by spow11 »

Good evening,
Having a small problem with starting. All was well until tonight and I cant figure out what has changed. Attached is a msq & msl.

Thanks
Steve
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Hard Starting

Post by grom_e30 »

battery a bit weak maybe?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
spow11
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spow11 »

Yes the battery is a bit weak. However on Monday the engine fired up straight away. Now it doesn't want to?

I thought I would try and use the log to identify the problem. Just lacking a bit of experience at the moment.

Cheers
Steve
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

You may want to adjust cranking pulse width a little at that temperature.

However, your battery voltage does drop a lot. It was down to 7.7 volts on the first attempted start, falling as low as 5.2 volts (if that's not an MS3-Pro, I'm amazed it's even staying switched on at that point...) on subsequent attempts.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
spow11
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by spow11 »

Well, it turned out to be fouled plugs not sparking. All six of them. Have been doing a lot of warm up runs trying to get the idle sorted.

Tried cleaning a couple of the plugs but they just didn't want to spark. This same thing happened about 3 yrs ago when I was recommissioning the car after a refurbishment. I had the old fouled plugs in a draw. Took them out, tested them, put them in and the engine fired up on the button.

Cheers
Steve