Generic PWM outputs - three questions

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Generic PWM outputs - three questions

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

I've read through the manual but I couldn't tell if these outputs will support these features:

1. Can the PWM perform a "peak and hold" function? That is, when commanded to turn on a solenoid, the output will go high for x msec and after that go into PWM mode?

2. Can the X-axis RPM values be changed? If I need better resolution in, say, the 2500 to 3500 RPM range can I have the six values cover this range? This would be useful for a manifold tuning valve that connects two plenums on command.

3. Can the X-axis be changed to something other than RPM? This car has a hydraulic overdrive that should only be enabled (by a solenoid, the most Rube Goldberg design you can imagine) in a particular gear and with TPS in a certain range. Disengaging it also requires knowledge of the gear and TPS. My thought was to use a speed sensor that, in conjunction with RPM and clutch switch, would allow determination of gear. Can MS3 support something strange like this?

Thanks!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Generic PWM outputs - three questions

Post by jsmcortina »

Healey3000 wrote:1. Can the PWM perform a "peak and hold" function? That is, when commanded to turn on a solenoid, the output will go high for x msec and after that go into PWM mode?
No.
2. Can the X-axis RPM values be changed? If I need better resolution in, say, the 2500 to 3500 RPM range can I have the six values cover this range? This would be useful for a manifold tuning valve that connects two plenums on command.
Yes. Just type in the boxes.
3. Can the X-axis be changed to something other than RPM? This car has a hydraulic overdrive that should only be enabled (by a solenoid, the most Rube Goldberg design you can imagine) in a particular gear and with TPS in a certain range. Disengaging it also requires knowledge of the gear and TPS. My thought was to use a speed sensor that, in conjunction with RPM and clutch switch, would allow determination of gear. Can MS3 support something strange like this?
No, the X-axis is fixed to RPM.
Perhaps the torque convertor lockup feature would achieve this?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Generic PWM outputs - three questions

Post by Healey3000 »

Thanks James.

I think I have a work-around by using a GPIO pin to set up a condition of rpm AND MAP to determine whether to set or reset an I/O line. I would have to make a peak and hold PWM circuit to drive the solenoid, using the I/O line as an input, a relatively easy task. I assume MAP is available in the additional condition field?

The torque converter output might work for the overdrive, along with another peak and hold circuit. I may end up using a separate processor that reads RPM from the MS tach output, road speed, and TPS to handle the overdrive. If I'm making an additional pcb, may as well build all of this in.

Regards.