Wiring sequential LS2 coils

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

thev's
MS/Extra Newbie

Wiring sequential LS2 coils

Post by thev's »

Hi, Just putting my wiring harness together to power 4 LS2 coils sequentially on a Miata. Had a question about the signal ground to MS3 (Pin B) - I assume since the coil switching is coming from the MS3X board it would be better to ground to this rather than the main board ? Is it OK to join the 4 grounds together on the engine and run 1 wire back to the controller rather than one for each coil ?

Thanks

nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Wiring sequential LS2 coils

Post by nathaninwa »

Yes, you can tie them all together into 1 wire. Tie it to sensor ground, where the coolant,tps, air temp all tie into.
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
Healey3000
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Healey3000 »

Hi,

Since I don't have an MS3 (yet), I can't speak from experience with this system. However, traditional wisdom says that grounds should be kept separate depending on function. Typically, high current grounds can set up offsets in board traces, which can cause noise on analog channels.

My general approach is to have a separate ground for high-current returns, logic-level grounds and analog grounds. It would be good to know what the user community has to say based on usage.
nathaninwa
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by nathaninwa »

My power grounds are connected to the head, ms logic grounds all tied to sensor ground.
Volvo 940, 2jzge, MS3Pro, daily
240Z, 2JZ, MS3Pro boost control
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Healey - I agree with you completely. That said, you may be missing the point that pin B IS a logic ground, with only a handful of mA flowing through. Pin A is the heavy power ground, and it does get wired to the head.

Edit - sorry, you're talking about separating logic and analogue here, not power and logic. The current flow is still so low, and the connection made at the board, that it makes no difference here.

I agree that if you had some low-resistance VAG coils in wasted spark combined with your TPS and MAP signal grounds it would make a total mess of things.
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I personally don't even bother with the logic ground on LS coils. I just run power, power ground (to the head or block) and trigger. I haven't had a single issue with mine that way for almost 2 years now
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

All pin A are tied together and all pin B are tied together in the stock harness.
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

Moderator please delete this double post.
Last edited by Ollie8974 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

prof315 wrote:I personally don't even bother with the logic ground on LS coils.
?!
Ollie8974 wrote:Pin A and B are tied together in the stock harness.
Ok - that makes a lot more sense ...
TTR Ignition Systems
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

Perhaps Ollie can elaborate, but I took his post to mean that all the "A" pins are tied to the other "A" pins, and the "B" pins are tied to the other "B" pins, but not that "A" and "B" are connected to each other.

IMHO connecting the "B" pins to nothing is a terrible idea. Connecting them to the "A" pins, or grounding them at the same point as the "A" pins may work but is not optimal. Best approach is ground the "A" pins to the head or block, and the "B" pins (via one wire, separate ones are not needed) to the Megasquirt. And when grounding them to the Megasquirt when using an MS3X card, they should be connected to an otherwise-unused pin on the *main* DB-37, not the MS3X DB-37. The ground pins on the 'X are power grounds, not signal grounds, and should be connected to the block or head (same place as the main MS grounds) and nothing else.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I've just checked the wiring on my LS truck motor and will have a diagram up of the coil loom-let in a bit. I did find though that the coils work ok without the signal ground connected at all (whoops!) (EDIT: I'm using an adapter loom from DB37 to MS3-Pro and one half of the adapter has the signal ground from the coils and the other side is empty... Will be fixed.)
The stock wiring does have this running back to the ECU. The power grounds are grounded to the block/head with ring terminals.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
sjf911
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by sjf911 »

I run twin plug so 2 LS2 coils per cylinder (an upper and lower plug). I have all of the upper signal grounds connected to one common return to the ECU and all of the lower signal grounds connected to another single return to the ECU.
Steve
1983 Porsche 911SC 3.4L, MS-3 v3.57 (pre1.4 alpha1, TS 2.6.14,JBperf I/O extender), MS3X full sequential, RTC, 12x LS2 D585 coil twinplug, PMAS HPX MAF, LC-1, GT35R turbocharged, full-bay intercooler, J&S Interceptor, e85.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Attached is an extract from the manual showing the wiring of the coil multi-plug on my engine. The colours and function match up with a diagram I found on the 'net.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I realize that the signal ground goes to back to the factory ECU (on a sensor ground) but the whole reason for that is to monitor actual vs commanded dwell times. Having run my D585 LS coils for a couple of years now without the signal ground connected and no adverse effects I'm just saying that you don't HAVE to use the signal ground. Should you? Probably.
Support the developers!
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

prof315 wrote:I realize that the signal ground goes to back to the factory ECU (on a sensor ground) but the whole reason for that is to monitor actual vs commanded dwell times.
Do you have any information on that? I had perhaps mistakenly thought it was there as a signal reference. I'm not so sure of that now as my coils have also been running with the wire unhooked.
Having run my D585 LS coils for a couple of years now without the signal ground connected and no adverse effects I'm just saying that you don't HAVE to use the signal ground. Should you? Probably.
Unsure! Mine have been working that way by accident too.

James

prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by prof315 »

I was working at a GM dealership when the LS engines first came out and was sent to school for them. That's what our instructors told us. I had the books from that class somewhere........ Also the LS engines were the first GM products to have actual vs commanded dwell data on the scan tool.
Support the developers!
thev's
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by thev's »

Thanks all, great info !

In terms of making a decent harness do you guys wrap the wires in anything special - I've seen non tacky silicone tape recommended or perhaps high temp heat shrink would work OK, any other good options ?

Thanks
Ollie8974
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Ollie8974 »

elaw wrote:Perhaps Ollie can elaborate, but I took his post to mean that all the "A" pins are tied to the other "A" pins, and the "B" pins are tied to the other "B" pins, but not that "A" and "B" are connected to each other.
You are correct elaw.
All "A" pins are connected.
All "B" pins are connected.
"A" and "B" pins are NOT CONNECTED, to each other.
Something else to be aware of when using the LS coils.
There are differences between the "Truck" coils and "Car" coils.
On the "Truck" coil the plug is smaller then the "car" coil.
The mounting bracket is different between the "Truck coil and the "car" coil.
Which ever coil you are using insure you have the correct wire harness and mounting bracket.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

thev's wrote:In terms of making a decent harness do you guys wrap the wires in anything special - I've seen non tacky silicone tape recommended or perhaps high temp heat shrink would work OK, any other good options ?
I use both the stretch 'n seal tape and heat shrink. Adhesive lined heat shrink for branch splicing individual wires, normal heat shrink for small wire bundles, and the tape for main bundles with lots of wires and branches.
TTR Ignition Systems
thev's
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by thev's »

Cool.

Do you guys recommend 16 Gauge or something else for the 12V and Ground (D and A) and 18 for the Signal and ecu ground (B and C) or not get too hung up on it ?

Sorry bout all the questions just trying to learn from others experiences !