Ms3x msd 6012 4.8L 87 octane/100% methanol s475 turbo build

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Ms3x msd 6012 4.8L 87 octane/100% methanol s475 turbo build

Post by Smallblockguy »

Hello folks!!! Newbie warning! Looking forward to getting this combo figured out! My goal is to have a ride that I can drive anywhere, but by changing a few minor things at the track, surprise a few people. I would love any feedback and hope that this build can benefit others. Here it is.

The car and the coffin, dragweek style (trailer is really weird to sleep in)
Old gen 1 371 cu. in. flat tappet cam, cast iron heads, drove it everywhere
naturally aspirated 4.8l ms3x/msd 6012 swap daily driven last summer
boosted
here's how the suspension acts (1.49 60ft)
drags 2012 001.MOD - YouTube
Here's a walk through of the current mods
megasquirt 011 - YouTube
here's some screen shots of the ms3, ve1 table one is gas, ve3 table is methanol

intake build thread

http://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induct ... rsion.html

Looking to make sure that I have my pwm modifictaion correct for the 1.6 ohm billet atomizeers.

What does 20 hg\in of vaccuum convert to in kpa? 67kpa??? I get 20hg of my gauge but my map sensor reads 32kpa?

Hopefully we can make this stuff work! Looking to go 10.00 @ 134.99

gonna use 3.9 for required fuel.

Here's the current specs
2008 4.8
799 heads
stock cam
blue gmpp valvesprings
arp head studs
corvette oil pan and exhaust manifolds
modified vic jr
t6 s475 1.32 cast wheel turbo
60mm wastegate
2.5" undivided hotside
(8) stock truck gasoline injectors (27lb high impedance) non sequenvially fired through the expansion board
(8) billet atomizer injectors 225lb batch fired through the main board.
aeromotive belt pump
aeromotive regulator
fst 500 fuel filter
an-10 bmrs lines
megasquirt 3.57x
msd 6012
innovation mtx-l wideband
turbo werx scavenge pump
3" non intercooled cold side
stock truck throttle body
4" down pipe
100% methanol
87 octane gasoline
3000 stall manual valve body billet pump 700r4
4:44 ford 9 33 spline ladder bar rear end
3400 lbs
#8 non projected tip gapped at .016
87 octane
99.85% grade methanol with klotz lube added.

Should my fuel load axis's number should all be 255 as this is the max of the map sensor? Or should they max out with the boost level I am currently tuning to? (8psi)

I havent been able use the controller step auth. in the afr control because is causes oscillation of the afr ratio? Not sure what's up with that.

The current setting shown are to fire it on the gas injectors only. The way it will drive down the highway.

I will have to change the req. fuel, dual fuel options, afr control numbers, injector size, wideband settings, ) cant think of anying else rigt now, but there might be something else) every time I go to run it on methanol. Gonna try to switch from gas to meth at 1400 rpm

Looking to sort out any issues before firing my pricey injectors.
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Ms3x msd 6012 4.8L 87 octane/100% methanol s475 turbo bu

Post by Smallblockguy »

Btw. I have this combo sorted out for naturally aspirated operation on just gas. Runs great.
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smallblockguy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZTnqdB6 ... ata_player
This video is how the suspension acts
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smallblockguy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJac_sgi ... ata_player
Here's the walk through of the build
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Whoa, cool project.

Where in Canada?

So, I assume (always bad) that you are intending to stage the methanol injectors?
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
atomic6
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by atomic6 »

This a really cool setup, and in a "sleeper" car.

I can't think of anything in the setup I would change, but it will be interesting to see how long that 700r4 will last.

Also, with that 4.44 rear gear, and the 3.06 first gear of the 700r4 you are going to hard time keeping that front end on the ground, when you start making some power, and hooking.<----not kidding at all. STR(starting line ratio) of 13.58 in a car that can hook, and makes tons of torque down low, as turbo cars do, is a combination needing wheelie bars for sure.

This is really similar to a couple of setups we have done. look up some of my posts on here and LStech.

I will post up some MSQs of the mustang, and my nova when I get a chance, but they are probably in some of my old posts already.

We started with running Methanol as our secondary fuel, but ended up using E85 as it is way less trouble. But it cooled the intake charge extremely well.

I am atomic6 on here and Ls1tech, and really all over the net.
1986 G.N. (sold)
1967 Nova II wagon (sold)
ex-MSer
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smallblockguy »

elutionsdesign wrote:Whoa, cool project.

Where in Canada?

So, I assume (always bad) that you are intending to stage the methanol injectors?
Prince Edward island!

I am planning to do a complete switch, not a blend
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smallblockguy »

atomic6 wrote:This a really cool setup, and in a "sleeper" car.

I can't think of anything in the setup I would change, but it will be interesting to see how long that 700r4 will last.

Also, with that 4.44 rear gear, and the 3.06 first gear of the 700r4 you are going to hard time keeping that front end on the ground, when you start making some power, and hooking.<----not kidding at all. STR(starting line ratio) of 13.58 in a car that can hook, and makes tons of torque down low, as turbo cars do, is a combination needing wheelie bars for sure.

This is really similar to a couple of setups we have done. look up some of my posts on here and LStech.

I will post up some MSQs of the mustang, and my nova when I get a chance, but they are probably in some of my old posts already.

We started with running Methanol as our secondary fuel, but ended up using E85 as it is way less trouble. But it cooled the intake charge extremely well.

I am atomic6 on here and Ls1tech, and really all over the net.
I recognize your screen name atomic6! You have a bunch of great threads all over the place, thanks for contributing. Ethanol isnt available around here. I would otherwise. Methanol is everywhere.

The tranny is a freak! It has been abused and abused for ten years! I think there is alot to be said about a good street drive to the track, things get a good heat soak. It's a full manual with a billet pump. Second gear leaves might be a must.
Smallblockguy
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Smallblockguy »

Got to the track for the first test hits! Everything worked perfectly! The transition from 87 to methanol was surprisingly smooth at 1600 rpm. I could taxi around the pits under 1600rpm like a kitten, over 5 test hits I burnt less than 1/2 gallon of methanol! I rough tuned a ve table enough to be able to make a 4.0 afr full throttle 300-1320ft (slow throttle rate) pass at 18* total timing and 5.5lbs of boost, way safe on 100% methanol but I've got to start somewhere! Went 110mph.

I will start pushing my timing map up now and see what it likes

Here is a reference that I plan to base my spark maps off, but I wonder how much 100% methanol will add to these numbers?

( quoted from denmah)
here is what i do

i use approx 24deg of timing at 0boost, about 14deg at 14psi and i go from there, each combination is different but i have never blown one up with 14psi and 14deg.

usually i will get on a dyno, and add a degree up or down and see if it picks up power

when the car is happy in my opinion it will make like 20hp per degree, sometimes more.

each degree you add will add substantial power usually, and at some point it will only add about half, say 5-10deg.

once you hit that point and keep going you are going to get knock or break ringlands.
this is what i learned after an entire year of busting these ringlands out of the motors

it will make the power it wants, and it will tell you when its done.

you can also do the same thing at the track. checking mph gains.

i would pull plugs and look at them for spots and marks from detonation also, you can also check the strap on the end of the plug, you should have discoloration in the center of the strap, that means the timing is dead on.

other than that, do not get timing envy from the internet, and people saying they are pumping 20deg on 20lbs of boost, i dont know how they get away with that s***, because i certainly broke 20 motors chasing that stuff haha
PeteJ
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by PeteJ »

What are the parameters you are using for dead time and all the offset table for the billet atomizers. I'm trying to get my tune going and the idle needs some help.