MS3 DIYPNP - Trying to run wasted spark, but Spark A fails

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

psyber_0ptix
MS/Extra Newbie

MS3 DIYPNP - Trying to run wasted spark, but Spark A fails

Post by psyber_0ptix »

Hello all,
I've built a new motor and am trying to get this freshly built MS3 to get her turning. I'm running Toyota COPS on a miata with a 36-1 trigger wheel and am trying to run wasted spark and semi sequential injection. The continuity across the harness I built for the COPS checks out fine from the physical plug all the way down to the ECU pins. The problem is: using output test, I can only get cylinders 2 and 3 to fire when testing Spark B and D. Cylinders 1 and 4 are dormant. I really don't know what to test for because the gentleman who built the unit said the ignition is all run off the same integrated circuit. It wouldn't make sense for one to work and not the other.

Below is a composite log during cranking; attached is my MSQ file. I feel pretty defeated spending only a day to get the new motor and turbo in...and scratch my head for 6 days trying to start it.

Thank you all

psyber_0ptix
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS3 DIYPNP - Trying to run wasted spark, but Spark A fai

Post by psyber_0ptix »

I switched to Wasted COPS and used Spark C to trigger cylinders 1 and 4 and it worked.

So yes, the motor runs at the sacrifice of ever being able to run sequential spark.

Is there any reason why one output would not function when continuity checks out on the harness from the MS3 all the way to the trigger lead on the plug for the coil?
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: MS3 DIYPNP - Trying to run wasted spark, but Spark A fai

Post by Matt Cramer »

For testing purposes, try disconnecting the coils and setting the spark output to Going Low. Check if you've got 5V on all four pins. If not, contact websales@diyautotune.com for warranty repairs.
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X