How many grounds to engine are needed MS3X?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

oldskool
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oldskool »

Hi, I'm in process of routing all wires to engine compartment thru firewall with 41 pin bulkhead connector. MS3 harness has 15 wires needed without the 13 grounds from pins 7-19, MS3X harness also has 15 wires needed without the 5 grounds in diagram. I'll be running sensors, IAC, HEI 7, relays, bank 2 bank injectors(V8), with the 8 MS3X injector wires for possible future sequential. Thanks,
David
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Re: How many grounds to engine are needed MS3X?

Post by muythaibxr »

Run as many as you can. You need everything you can get from the ms3x board as well as the mainboard. Run them separately all the way to the ring terminal that you connect to the block.
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
oldskool
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by oldskool »

muythaibxr wrote:Run as many as you can. You need everything you can get from the ms3x board as well as the mainboard. Run them separately all the way to the ring terminal that you connect to the block.
Thanks for reply, since I have more grounds than available pins left, I'll run all grounds together to a heavier gauge wire, to a pass thru terminal at firewall, then to ground at engine.
rabid
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by rabid »

I would actually try to run them separately to a common point in the engine. I've seen stuff like that on the oem. I don't know if it is for cost or because it is better. One less splice at least.
muythaibxr
Site Admin

Post by muythaibxr »

oldskool wrote:
muythaibxr wrote:Run as many as you can. You need everything you can get from the ms3x board as well as the mainboard. Run them separately all the way to the ring terminal that you connect to the block.
Thanks for reply, since I have more grounds than available pins left, I'll run all grounds together to a heavier gauge wire, to a pass thru terminal at firewall, then to ground at engine.
I specifically said run them separately because it works better. Also, do not ground at the firewall and then the engine, that can cause ground loops. Ground only to the engine.

Ken
Megasquirt is not for use on pollution controlled vehicles. Any advice I give is for off road use only.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

He's using a pass through terminal, the electrical equivalent of a bulkhead tubing fitting. It's insulated and isolated, so he isn't grounded at the firewall.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

muythaibxr wrote: run them separately because it works better.

Ken
I will take note of this. I think I put a few wires together and ran a couple larger grounds out the engine on my last setup. I never had issues, but I'm sure I probably got lucky then. My very first install had some "sloppy" grounds and it got better when I cleaned it up some, but it still wasn't separate wires all the way to the terminal...but if you say to run separate wires for each ground, it can only get better right?
What is the reason/theory to separate them? What makes it "better?"
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Individual wires have a higher current handling capacity. Research has shown that electron transfer is a surface thing, not a bulk thing, so the more surface area (wires) you have the better.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

makes sense. Thanks