MS1->MS3 Upgrade - No Connectivity

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

compywiz
MS/Extra Newbie

MS1->MS3 Upgrade - No Connectivity

Post by compywiz »

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the MS-III daughterboard and MS3X to upgrade my working V3.0 MS1 to MS3. I read the instructions and installed the S12C to JS9 jumper and removed my old spark mods which I understand are no longer required. While I was there, I fixed up a few cold looking solder joints as well. Before installing the CPU I wired it up to a power supply and ran through the testing steps of the build assembly to ensure correct voltages and everything agreed with the picture:

Put the -ve probe of you're voltmeter on pin 32 of the 40pin connector (U1) Note, this is WITHOUT the CPU card in place!
Put the +ve probe onto pin 20 (Top pin right side)
Ensure you read 5V (+- 0.1V)
d) Keep the +ve probe on pin 20 and move the -ve probe to pin 19 and pin 2, ensure you have 5V on the meter for both measurments. If its OK go to the next step (25).
Since the voltages were good, I put in the CPU and fired it up. I plugged in the USB port and it recognized the on board serial adapter and everything looked ok, but TunerStudio would not recognize it. I tried the serial (which used to work), but got nothing either. At this point I pulled out the CPU and did the serial loopback test by bridging pins 12 and 13 of U1 and that checked out. I'd be more suspicious of the computer not working if it had not originally worked in the same configuration a few hours earlier, so I'm thinking I must have missed something or screwed up a step. What is the proper procedure for troubleshooting from here?

Thanks in advance! Let me know if I failed to provide any essential information.

tldr: converted working ms1 to ms3, U1 voltages were good, can't connect serial via tunerstudio anymore, what next?
compywiz
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: MS1->MS3 Upgrade - No Connectivity

Post by compywiz »

Hi,

Turns out it didn't come with firmware. Flashing it got it going! Solved.