Pressure sensor operating temp range

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

ddm1973
MS/Extra Newbie

Pressure sensor operating temp range

Post by ddm1973 »

Hello all, my second post but I have been a member for a while doing the research with a view to doing my own install soon.

I have a question regarding an oil pressure sensor I am looking at using. The operating temp quoted is -20C to 105C. Now this install is going on a race-car and I am expecting the oil temp to be at or above the upper limit stated. Is this a concern for the sensor?

This is the sensor I am looking at;

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pressure-sen ... 4d116d5456

Excuse my ignorance if I have asked a stupid question, but I'd rather ask and look stupid than assume and waste my money or worse destroy an engine because the reading is erroneous.

Thanks
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Pressure sensor operating temp range

Post by grom_e30 »

to be honest i think the working temp may be a bit low, iv recently installed oil pressure and temp on my road car and that usually sits in the 80 deg c range also i see oil pressure of about 65 psi on my engine as well.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
subwoofer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by subwoofer »

Temperature ratings are mostly a matter of life expectancy. Rule of thumb for electronics is that lifetime is halved for every 10°C increase in temperature, most silicon devices are functional to somewhere around 180°C. And I would definitely go for a 7 or 10 bar version of said sensor.
Joachim
1974 Jensen-Healey
1990 VW Caravelle Syncro - running MS3+X
2014 Ford Fiesta EcoBoost
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

I'm thinking that the oil circulating may get hotter than that 105C, but the "dead-headed" oil reaching the sensing element is going to be close to engine temp, as will the sensor body that is screwed into the engine. Still worried? Mount the sensor remote and connect it with tubing.

Edit: I just looked a the the link to your sensor. I would be more concerned about the range, 0-50 psi isn't high enough for a lot of engine lube systems...
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

if you do a remote mount of the sensor the temp wont be a problem, the pressure will be a problem for that sensor because it looks to be more a map sensor than an oil pressure sensor, most of the engines I have worked on have oil pressures above 80 psi cold or at high rpm.... so just get an oil pressure sensor made for the higher pressures and then it will be the right tool for the job.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
ddm1973
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ddm1973 »

Thanks everyone for your help. And as far as the pressure range is concerned, spot on, I accidentally posted the link for the 50psi one rather than the 150psi one.
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

I run that same 150 psi sensor. On my 2nd one, the first one did not seal well on the back of the sensor and dripped oil out of the electrical connector. Second one is working great.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi