CEL status information

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

CEL status information

Post by mr_minnis »

Hello,

This is for ms3X 3.57 FW 1.3 TS 2.5.05

I have set up and configured the check engine light. I keep getting an AFR error, even though it appears to be working. I have 2 widebands. I was wanting to know where I could find some information for the settings for it. I am intrested in what normal fluctuation setting should be? The only thinig i found in the documenation was. I am concerned that i have the issue listed in ().

EGO1 sensor check - Enable or disable checking of the EGO1 sensor input.
Minimum ADC - minimum valid ADC reading for the EGO1 input
Maximum ADC - maximum valid ADC reading for the EGO1 input
Minimum Fluctuation - minimum fluctuation during smooth running
Maximum Fluctuation - maximum fluctuation during operation
(The fluctuation settings are key to detecting a failed sensor. Many wideband controllers will get 'stuck' if the sensor fails although appearing to show a valid AFR reading. Combined with closed-loop EGO or autotuning this can be troublesome without this detection scheme. Other controllers allow an 'out of range' voltage output - match the min/max ADC readings to capture this.)
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: CEL status information

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

What system are you using to run the sensors? PLX, INNOVATE..... and what model?
I've used a handful of different set-ups for AFR readings, and usually forget to calibrate
the sensors before I hook them up. Usually the O2 system controllers have their own
software for setting up.
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

ToolBoxTuner wrote:What system are you using to run the sensors? PLX, INNOVATE..... and what model?
I've used a handful of different set-ups for AFR readings, and usually forget to calibrate
the sensors before I hook them up. Usually the O2 system controllers have their own
software for setting up.
I am running 2 Innovate LC-1s. I have them calibrated in the tune from the information in the innovate manual. I set up a custom linear in tuner studio. I also tried the defualt LC-1 settings in tuner studio and it did the same thing.

Im sorry if i wasn't clear about what is happening.

The widebands are displaying the correct fuel ratio. The AFR changes by about .3 from time to time. However the CEL light will come on after a while, In tuner studio it says AFR fault. in a few munites the fault will clear. When the fault is on the AFR is still correct. Thats why I think the flucuation settings need to be tweaked.
ToolBoxTuner
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by ToolBoxTuner »

Well, if the AFR readings are correct and look to be within range, I would focus my attention on the CEL triggering methods. Does the ERROR reappear within the same drive cycle, or is it only one time per start-up. Can you clear the error with the engine running?
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

I tried alerting on AFR also and found it set off the CEL frequently so I disabled that function. The AFR does tend to run full scale lean from time to time as part of normal operation. The max AFR in Tuner studio should be something beyond the possible full scale reading of the sensor but there does not seem to be much point in that with this particular sensor.

What would be beneficial to the durability of the engine would be an alert based on target AFR table perhaps.

Also as a "Feature Suggestion" adding CEL alert based on engine knock triggering timing retard and/or fuel pressure versus MAP would be awesome!
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

ToolBoxTuner wrote:Well, if the AFR readings are correct and look to be within range, I would focus my attention on the CEL triggering methods. Does the ERROR reappear within the same drive cycle, or is it only one time per start-up. Can you clear the error with the engine running?
yes the error comes and goes then comes and goes. I haven't been able to drive the car but these are all occuring at idle. the error clears by itself. I have changed the max fluctation to 40000, it may have helped, but i am changing the intake manifold gasket and haven't got it back together. I'd like to fully test it. Thats why i wanted some feedback on what others are using for those numbers.
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

arran wrote:I tried alerting on AFR also and found it set off the CEL frequently so I disabled that function. The AFR does tend to run full scale lean from time to time as part of normal operation. The max AFR in Tuner studio should be something beyond the possible full scale reading of the sensor but there does not seem to be much point in that with this particular sensor.

What would be beneficial to the durability of the engine would be an alert based on target AFR table perhaps.

Also as a "Feature Suggestion" adding CEL alert based on engine knock triggering timing retard and/or fuel pressure versus MAP would be awesome!
that is wherre i am at, i may have to turn it off. My scale is 8 to 25. I think the flucuation is what is tripping it.

when i get the intake back on I will mess with it some more. take a few data logs and see what i can come up with