how to set-up 2nd MAP for altitude comp

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

BritishV8
Helpful MS/Extra'er

how to set-up 2nd MAP for altitude comp

Post by BritishV8 »

I'm enjoying more and more Rocky Mountain driving. My MS3-Pro is working great, but I'm looking to take my installation a step farther.

What tips can you folks share about setting up real time barometric correction?

I'd appreciate any advice at all about what MAP sensor to select, where to place it, how to wire it to MS3-Pro, and especially about how to program MS3-Pro to get full advantage.
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: how to set-up 2nd MAP for altitude comp

Post by prof315 »

I use a GM 3 bar as my primary MAP sensor on MAP in and a GM 1 bar for baro correction on analog 1 in. The 1 bar sensor is simply exposed to open air ( it's mounted next to the 3 Pro under my dash). Each sensor has to be calibrated in the Tuner Studio tools menu and you set the dual sensors in General settings.
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
wes kiser
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: how to set-up 2nd MAP for altitude comp

Post by wes kiser »

Make sure you are setup "correctly" in the first place. Most people problems with baro correction (and need for much of it) stem from having the "model" wrong in the first place.

Start with none at all. Make sure ALL baro correction is zero'd out. Then ensure you are "multiply map" and "percent baro" (if NA/belt driven boost) or "speed density" (exhaust driven turbo).

If you are a perfectionist you may certainly still find a correlation between altitude and error, but if you see a need for more than 5-6% when driving on planet earth with a practical engine, the "model" is wrong in the first place.
86 Rx-7, swapped to 2.3 ford turbo (BW EFR 6758), ms3/ms3x sequential fuel /waste spark, ls2 coils
88 Tbird 2.3t, Microsquirt Module (PIMP), TFI ignition