Miata/MX5 1.6 litre CAS orientation?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AmmoJammo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Miata/MX5 1.6 litre CAS orientation?

Post by AmmoJammo »

I'm fitting a Megasquirt to a B6t engine, in a front wheel drive KE Ford Laser (essentially the same as a BF Mazda 323)

I'm replacing the distributor with a cam angle sensor from an MX5/Miata.
Now, the original distributor has two mounting bolts... this means that the CAS can be mounted in two different orientations, less than 180 degrees different from memory...

I assume it has to be mounted in the "correct" orientation for the signals to be correct?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!
mazdaspeed
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Miata/MX5 1.6 litre CAS orientation?

Post by mazdaspeed »

What i have done in the past to find out is once all the wiring is all done. Set the ecu up to fire coil A once every 720deg cycle (coil on plug) And set a trigger angle to try say 0 deg offset and set fixed angle to 0 deg BTDC. Then connect an HT lead up to a grounded spark plug from coil A (disconnect B,C & D if used). Hook up your timing light to the coil A HT lead also. Set the engine to 0 deg TDC. Remove the CAS from the engine and find away to connect it to a drill. Run up the CAS with the drill and with your timing light you can see the angle of the trigger wheel in relation to the sensor itself. then place the CAS into the engine where it will line up best with the angle you saw from the timing light

may sound confusing but it only take 5 mins to do and will get you in the ballpark for starting you engine

(be shur to set your ignition setting back to how they need to be) :D
AmmoJammo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Miata/MX5 1.6 litre CAS orientation?

Post by AmmoJammo »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry I didn't see it sooner!

I've pretty much decided to fit the CAS how I want, the way that looks neater, as I believe I can change the settings on the Megasquirt enough to compensate for this.