[Solved] Pin Usage?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Pin Usage?

Post by chevyowner »

I have looked at that all of that page, but it does not help with what I need.
I have no idea how DIYautotune assembled the hardware, and I bought this about 1 and 1/2 years ago.
Due to unexpected problems in various places I had to put my swap on hold until the 1st of this year.
As I keep saying the list given to me by TunderStudio does not help me.
In the last 2 or three threads I started here and got no help on I added that I know next to nothing about TunerStudio.
I now that many signals can use what ever I want them to but that does not mean I know where I should put them to avoid damage or even work correctly.

Here is what it is showing me. See attachment

The injectors and spark make sense but what is the rest of those pins used for?
I guess I have to look at each and every option box in the software to even try and see what needs wiring where.
As I have said from post 1 it is not just a documentation issue, but an issue caused by both documentation and TunerStudio.

I could swear I said this before but I am horrible at explaining/describing things, and I would appreciate it if people would not be rude over it.

EDIT
I am also extremely frustrated with this, I know there is something to do what I need but I cant find it.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

You to have the Megasquirt turned on and connected to you computer before that screen shows anything.

However, I still think you missing the point.

I'm afraid that if you can't follow the wiring diagram I think you will likely struggle with any aftermarket EFI system.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

chevyowner wrote:The injectors and spark make sense but what is the rest of those pins used for?
I guess I have to look at each and every option box in the software to even try and see what needs wiring where.
As I have said from post 1 it is not just a documentation issue, but an issue caused by both documentation and TunerStudio.

I could swear I said this before but I am horrible at explaining/describing things, and I would appreciate it if people would not be rude over it.

EDIT
I am also extremely frustrated with this, I know there is something to do what I need but I cant find it.
I understand you are frustrated but you don't make it easy to help you. All the information is there on the page we linked many times. You keep saying it it useless to you but everything is there. The function for all the pins, the connector pin numbers, the CPU pin naming, what they should be used for in an MS3X setup, ...

Which functions do you want to use that you don't know how to wire? As I said, it is all there in the table; use the columns for the connector pin numbers and the suggested MS3X mode and you won't be connecting anything at the wrong place.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

And I'll repeat, I have never seen that info in TS, it isn't needed for a successful install. If it is confusing you, ignore the TS table and try with just the docs in the manual some more. I, too, hate to see anybody be getting so frustrated, I was hoping we could hook you up with an experienced MSer nearby, but so far no joy. How far is Twin Falls ID from you (driving hours)? How about Salt Lake City?
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

Salt Lake City is closer at about 2 hours driving time.
Twin Falls Is about 3 hours away from here. Maybe more depending on the route used.

This may be a slightly better explanation.
I don't know what pins the tune I have been working on is using, and the only pin usage lists I see don't tell me what the pin is used for.
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

did you look at the wire harness markings, I know the harness you buy from diyauto is marked with what the wire is used for on each wire and they give you a wiring diagram with the harness.
GOOD LUCK
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

kaeman wrote:did you look at the wire harness markings, I know the harness you buy from diyauto is marked with what the wire is used for on each wire and they give you a wiring diagram with the harness.
GOOD LUCK
I got the MS3X there but no harness, as I am making my own harness.
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but making your own harness when you can't read a wiring diagram is not a good idea.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
kaeman
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by kaeman »

I would highly recommend getting one of the harnesses from diyauto and then modify it for the custom lengths you need, having all the wires marked makes it easy to install. It will also give you the intended usages of all the wires, which will coincide with the way diyauto built the unit.... it will take all the guess work and confusion out of the install and will answer most if not all your questions...
I have used a couple of their harnesses and they use really good quality automotive grade wiring and have the proper equipment for making the connection at the 37 pin connector.... its cheaper to buy the harness than to make it from scratch.... I know... I built my first harness then decided to it would be nicer to have all the marked wiring and bought my harness, then customized the lengths and put on the correct sensor and injector connectors.... unit works great and its easy to see what wires go where. If you have to trouble shoot a sensor or wire harness problem you will wish you had the wires with labeling.
Last edited by kaeman on Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
64 el camino, 383 SBC, 11.7 to1 CR, accufab tb/rhs intake, 44lb injectors, trick flow heads, xr292r solid roller cam, belt drive camshaft, dry sump oil system, 2400 stall, turbo 350, spooled 9 inch, strange axles, 3.89 gears, dual wideband, full sequential fuel/cop, MS3x using 1.4.1 code.
Space387
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Space387 »

If it of any help this is my pinout for MS3+3x used on my GM3.4L ( same sensors as an LS) I have identified all the used pins by the TS name and their function. If you need any more help ill be checking back
94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
5.7L LT1 (optispark)
Ms3+3x
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

I was trying to split the problem into its two separate halves to try and make it easier for me to explain and hopefully for others to understand.
I can now see that I will not get any help here, as because I am not using the terminology that you want me too you can only assume I am a dumb ass.

racingmini_mtl wrote:I'm sorry if that sounds harsh but making your own harness when you can't read a wiring diagram is not a good idea.

Jean
Just because I don't find diagrams useful does not mean I don't know how to read them. I simply find using a pinout for both ends of the circuits and an ohm meter to be far more effective then a diagram.
kaeman wrote:I would highly recommend getting on of the harnesses from diyauto and then modify it for the custom lengths you need, having all the wires marked makes it easy to install. It will also give you the intended usages of all the wires, which will coincide with the way diyauto built the unit.... it will take all the guess work and confusion out of the install and will answer most if not all your questions...
I have used a couple of their harnesses and they use really good quality automotive grade wiring and have the proper equipment for making the connection at the 37 pin connector.... its cheaper to buy the harness than to make it from scratch.... I know... I built my first harness then decided to it would be nicer to have all the marked wiring and bought my harness, then customized the lengths and put on the correct sensor and injector connectors.... unit works great and its easy to see what wires go where. If you have to trouble shoot a sensor or wire harness problem you will wish you had the wires with labeling.
Now cover the other half of the problem that a pre-made wiring harness with no tune can.
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

You've already gotten help! Other users have taken the time and effort to write 20 different posts to assist you in this thread. I can understand that you're frustrated but claiming you "won't get any help here" is unfair and not productive.

I can completely sympathize with your preference of tabular rather than graphical representations of the wiring. My own documentation of my MS setup is entirely in an Excel spreadsheet and consists of lengthy lists of what's-connected-to-what. However that is your preference and IMHO it's not reasonable to expect the Megasquirt developers and others to always produce documentation in exactly the format that works best for you. Like it or not, graphical diagrams are standard in the automotive industry for documenting electrical hookups.

I do think to a degree you have a valid point regarding the differences between signal names used in the tuning software and those on the diagrams in the documentation. But the reality is that it's pretty easy to figure out with a little studying, and there is that table in the docs that lays out much of the information. Perhaps it would help to make up your own "cheat sheet" with the different signal names, pin connections, and descriptions.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

elaw wrote:I do think to a degree you have a valid point regarding the differences between signal names used in the tuning software and those on the diagrams in the documentation. But the reality is that it's pretty easy to figure out with a little studying, and there is that table in the docs that lays out much of the information. Perhaps it would help to make up your own "cheat sheet" with the different signal names, pin connections, and descriptions.
You finally graze the nail's head. If I don't know what "signal" is set to what "pin" diagrams and pinouts are useless. As I said before the hardware is only half the problem.
How do you know that no one else has similar issues or confusion when over 50% of people with issues will never say a thing about those issues?
Maybe you can create a cheat sheet with less then half of the needed information, but I cant.

If this was just hardware I would not have put it in the section for the software.

EDIT
If I could delete this useless thread I would.
Space387
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Space387 »

Well I am all for helping someone so lets take another shot.

Lets start off with this what have you wired in to your MS unit, and then what functions do you still need.
94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
5.7L LT1 (optispark)
Ms3+3x
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I don't think anyone has actually understood what you are asking for yet.

Have you looked at the links that have been posted?

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Perhaps it would be best to approach the problem from the opposite direction. If you could put together a list of what inputs and outputs you intend to use, I can put together a list of what pins are available for them.

Or were you looking for an MS3 version of this?

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms2extra/MS2 ... ms2options
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

Matt Cramer wrote:Or were you looking for an MS3 version of this?
We've given him a link to the MS3 version of that already.

James

Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

I have not wired anything in yet. I was waiting to try and figure out the software side. However having a list of pins used by the software does no good if it also does not tell what the pins are used for.
Matt Cramer wrote:Perhaps it would be best to approach the problem from the opposite direction. If you could put together a list of what inputs and outputs you intend to use, I can put together a list of what pins are available for them.

Or were you looking for an MS3 version of this?

I don't know what inpuuts and outputs are in use let alone what ones I need to use.
How can I know what inputs/outputs (pins) I need to use if I don't know what the software has set them to.
Yes I could wire random things to random pins and pray that things are hooked up correctly.

Seeing as none of you can believe what hardware I have and that this is primary a software problem. This is the hardware.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/mega ... p-435.html

Now as this has nothing to do with hardware that link is useless if this was a hardware problem I would have asked it here
http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=131

I asked it http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=122 as it is a problem with that.
As I keep saying and some of you have said a pinout of the hardware is useless with out knowing what the software is expecting, but none of you seem to have a method of telling what the software is expecting. Are you just wiring things in randomly and getting them to work?

None of you seem to have a clue how TunerStudio works win the pins.

If you cant respond nicely why do you think I will respond to you nicely?
If have to bash me to others in this thread as some of you have been why do you expect me to response nicely?
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

chevyowner wrote:As I keep saying and some of you have said a pinout of the hardware is useless with out knowing what the software is expecting, but none of you seem to have a method of telling what the software is expecting. Are you just wiring things in randomly and getting them to work?
As we keep saying, all the information is in the page linked many times. The table has the all the different names and functions for all the pins. If you can't use it or ask specific things that are missing instead of saying that you will connect things randomly then you're on your own.

Jean