[Solved] Pin Usage?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: Pin Usage?

Post by jsmcortina »

There's enough LS owners here on www.msextra.com or try http://www.ls1tech.com

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

LS1tech is the site that I got completely ignored on. Not in a hurry to try it again there.
Space387
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Space387 »

A quick back track. You said the engine is a 5.3l iron block right? If so sounds like a vortec truck engine. If you know what vehicle it's out of let me know and I'll see what I can do about putting together a beginner tune close to the stock tune of that engine
94 Pontiac Firebird Formula
5.7L LT1 (optispark)
Ms3+3x
gui67
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by gui67 »

Are you lookking for a LM7 msq?
Here is one, from my engine, with a LS2 cam, bigger injectors,flexfuel and a turbocharger.
But it should also work for NA, at least to start the car and begin fine tuning. You should not be able to kill the engine if you check the AFR with a wideband. I don't think there is something special to check for the first start: no more cam to break-in like with old flat-tappet lifters. I did nothing special for break-in on my engine.
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

I have no idea what the engine is out of, or what would be close to it now.
It has a cam from COMP Cams but I lost the cam card and cant remember the part number.

If you want to get really technical the engine is a 4.8L. This is the same block the 5.3L uses.
I bought a used 5.3L, bought a cam for it and found out when going to install the cam, and changing the oil pan that it needed a rebuild.
At this point I also noticed that the engine was a 4.8L not a 5.3L.
I asked the local machine shop about it, and they had a good 5.3L. At this point I decided to rebuild it as a 5.3L.
If the did not have the crank I would not have dealt with rebuilding this engine.

Due to the cost of finding used 5.3L rods, I opted to get a set of Eagle 6100M3D rods.
It has flattop pistons from about a 2007 5.3L.
I did not have the extra for better cylinder heads at the time and they are on the todo list.
The cylinder heads are 862.

I did not get the truck accessory system, but that did not bother me it would not have fit under the hood anyway.
If I would have had to rebuild it as a 4.8L it would have gone no further. I have the 4.8L crankshaft in my garage.

A future project I think it would be interesting to use this crank in a 6.0L block.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

I am struggling to understand your problem with the pinouts. So lets find some common ground to establish a discussion.

For the time being forget about software. Your Megasquirt has two 37 pin connectors on it right? Each one is numbered 1-37, one is female and one is male correct?

If so the top female 37 pin plug is the MS3X and the bottom 37 pin male plug is the MS3.

Since each connector is numbered you have a pin 1 and go from either right to left or left to right depending on where pin 1 is.

Does the following pic make sense?

If so this is what I have done for my project since I like the Excel layout. I like the pics too, but a spreadsheet lets me add notes, color code, etc. In my pic green is what I am using, white lettering means it's a wire that stays inside the vehicle, like a switch or input that I can tap in to. Or an LED that I want to light up.

By default the Megasquirt already has certain functions assigned to certain pins. That is what is in all the pics people are linking to you. So you are not starting from scratch and assigning functions to pins. Maybe that's the part you are missing?

I hope this helps, the guys here are really trying to help you, they've posted tons of information.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: [Solved] Pin Usage?

Post by chevyowner »

I should have everything figured out now. I need to wait for the power steering hose, and starter I ordered to get here before I can try starting the engine.
To be on the safe side I am using breakout boards to get things running. After that I will solder db37 connectors on.
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Ah, so you never had DB37 connectors? Can you post pics of your set up?
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
kjones6039
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by kjones6039 »

Raymond_B wrote:Ah, so you never had DB37 connectors? Can you post pics of your set up?
I don't think that would necessarily preclude his having DB37's. The breakout boards I have seen plug into the MS's existing connectors..... Or did I miss the point?

Ken
1979 Corvette - 383 CID SBC w/ Holley Pro-Jection 900 CFM TBI, 4-85 lb lo-z injectors & Walbro 255 pump
MS2 v3 w/extra 3.4.2 Release
36-1, Delphi LS2/7 coils in wasted spark, driven by v2.0 logic board from JBPerformance
Spartan Lambda Sensor from 14point7
TinyIOX from JBPerformance
chevyowner
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by chevyowner »

kjones6039 wrote:
Raymond_B wrote:Ah, so you never had DB37 connectors? Can you post pics of your set up?
I don't think that would necessarily preclude his having DB37's. The breakout boards I have seen plug into the MS's existing connectors..... Or did I miss the point?

Ken
You are correct they are DB37 Breakout boards.

Picture added
ashford
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by ashford »

i have done a few ls motors, if you go to the turbo forums under efi there are a few msq's of mine there. one stock 5.3 tuned to 15 psi on e85 a modifed 6.0. i have also done a bone stock 4.8 na and a 5.3 with a gm "hot" cam on a ms2 which should be relitivly close to what you have, you could just pull the spark and fuel tables off of it if wanted.