36-1 vs 60-2 and MAP sensor

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: 36-1 vs 60-2 and MAP sensor

Post by AbeFM »

iti_uk wrote:Just drove home and had a bit of a shitter with the car. Misbehaving idle again. I'm going to move away from the basemap back to the msq I was using prior to it which seemed to work a lot better. Will report back after more driving...
That seems like a really good idea. There shouldn't be any differences with the exception of improving timing at idle.
2000 VVT Miata turbo, MS3Pro

Contact me if interested in a MS-II 2nd gen NB Miata PnP board.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

iti_uk wrote: And here it is once I'd gone at it with a file, a drill and some spray-paint;

It's not as tidy as I'd like, but it'll work and it'll probably never be seen again (until I do an engine refurb...)
Chris
So to be PAINFULLY obvious, and to double check:

With the bumped up center facing towards you (as pictured - with the disc laying flat and not rocking. In the original picture I'd copied on here, the disc was resting on the bulge, upside down relative to yours, as you can see the plastic bag has wrinkles) you're cutting off one tooth counter-clock-wise of the original missing tooth (opposite and clockwise of the original timing peg slot) , then you added a hole to clear the timing peg ~90* counter-clock-wise of the original slot.

Right?

iti_uk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by iti_uk »

Bulge facing up, drill new keying hole 90deg counter-clockwise from the original.

If you count the tooth aligned with the original keying hole as "1", you should have the following;

1 (aligned with original keying hole)
17 (missing)
18 (missing)

Hope that helps.
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Yes. I did it as I described (which I believe matches your own description, made no other change beyond Miata 99-05 ---> Miata 36-2
and it fired right up (perhaps a hint faster, perhaps a hint smoother... perhaps in my head) on the very first kick.

May drive tomorrow.

iti_uk
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by iti_uk »

Abe, any news on your setup? Haven't had a chance to drive mine over the past few days. :(
AbeFM
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by AbeFM »

Just about to take it ~100 miles today.

I still have terrible starting, but now if just feels like the motor is playing along and it's all poor fueling. My WBO2 is slow and generally makes it hard to track down, with all the overlapping adjustments and enrichments I never can seem to get it right. But if it makes it past the first few seconds, it's pretty solid afterwards.

Hard to quantify, but I'm actually surprisingly happy with it. And since my wheel came RIGHT off the whole job would have been under 45 minutes if I didn't have to stop and weld some broken bracket I'd found, and not counting paint-drying time.