C12 swapped out...now need help with spare inputs.

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

C12 swapped out...now need help with spare inputs.

Post by S.Bretz »

Ok...how do I do this? That SOB is tiny. The VVT section in the manual says to replace it with a .01uf capacitor to use PT6/datalog-in as a cam angle input

. I can see only one spot to put a leg of a capacitor in and I can't even see the legs of the SMT capacitor. Is there a trick or technique to use so I don't burn a bunch of stuff with my iron?
Last edited by S.Bretz on Wed Jul 16, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Replacing c12 on the MS3x card.

Post by billr »

Vision magnifier and bright light, no matter how young your eyes are! Use a fine tip temp-controlled iron, about 25W is all you need, and .015" diameter solder.
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

I have a 15w iron I use for the transistors. I guess I should get a new tip for it just to be safe....and more fine solder since I just ran out tonight.

Also, the megamanual says to install protective circuits for the two 0-5V cam inputs (pt4 and js10). I have js10 down since I already had a protected circuit for my old FF sensor, It should be easy to remove the old input and just jumper js10 to it... but what about pt4? how do I run that into the MS and to a protected circuit? Is there a test hole on the 3x card that I jump to from the proto area?

Edit:, After further review of the 3x card, it looks like there is a Vcc pin on the top left, Is this a 5v source?
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Wow...what an m-effer to unsolder that little guy. he solder sucker didn't do crap. I was able to get the one side up with a little pressure on the iron and then the other side ripped off. Luckily there was enough pad left to solder to.
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: C12 swapped out...not help with spare inputs.

Post by S.Bretz »

Ok, now that c12 has been swapped out, I have been looking into install the "protective circuit" PT4 and datalog in.

Here is a screen shot of the instructions (this one is a thumbnail so click on it to read it).

So I dug into the 3x board schematics...and it appears to me that the protective circuit is already there. Please, I'm not an electrical engineer, someone please verify for them that these two circuits are already as I need them for a 0-5V cam signal/angle input.

PT4:

Datalog in:
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

I did some more searching and it looks like pt4 is good to go as is.

But what about datalog in? the manual says its a 0-12 input.. If I run a 0-5v hall directly into it, will it work? Or do I need to run that one hall on a 12v circuit so that it goes 0-12v?
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Why are you using the Megamanual, are there no instructions for this type of mod in the MS3 manual. There are several notes in the manuals to not use the Megamanual for MS3 stuff. I don't know if that is a real problem here, just sayin'...
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Those are clips out of the extra manual.....in my vernacular its all "the megamanual." Sorry for the confusion.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

OK.

For future reference, removing the small surface mount capacitors or resistors is "easy". Instead of heating each end individually, use a broader tipped soldering iron and heat both ends from the side - use a good blob of solder to transfer the heat. Once the solder on the pads has melted, slide the part sideways and then lift off with tweezers. (Or it might come away with the soldering iron.)

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by S.Bretz »

Thanks James, that will stay in my mind from now on... I was sure there was probably some simple way.

Will I be ok running a 0-5V hall cam signal directly into "datalog in." The manual say "datalog in" is a 0-12v...will it pick up the 0-5v? I'm just worried that 5v may not be enough electrical potential to trip a triggering even.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: C12 swapped out...now need help with spare inputs.

Post by jsmcortina »

The input is actually 0-5V already, so your cam input should be fine.

It can accept up to 12V.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
S.Bretz
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: C12 swapped out...now need help with spare inputs.

Post by S.Bretz »

AHHHH...I see... Thanks James.