VR wheel output to mutiple locations?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

VR wheel output to mutiple locations?

Post by Rickster »

Hi,

I have a VR speed sensor attached to each wheel typically used for ABS (96 Ford Mustang setup). For my project (Factory Five Racing MK4 Cobra replica) I am retaining the ABS brakes, and would like to use the signals from the sensors to enable traction control in TS. How would I approach the wiring? Can I route the VR cable to the ABS module then hop the same cable over to the MS3? Would there be signal loss? Or should I get a 3 conductor shielded cable and tie 2 of the wires to the VR output (+) and run one to the ABS and the other to MS3? Any other options?

Thanks,
Rick
Hey_Allen
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: VR wheel output to mutiple locations?

Post by Hey_Allen »

From my understanding of it, the signal is likely too low of a voltage to share between multiple systems when you are monitoring a VR signal.

Someone else who has been playing with the ABS systems may have other experiences though!
Josh
-greasy fingered tinkerer
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

I'm not sure whether or not the MS3X inputs will have any impact on the ABS operation. If the ABS module has differential inputs, I would not use the MS3X input which uses ground as VR-.

I know the MAX9926 circuit on my dual VR board (which is the same as the VR circuit on the Microsquirt and the MS3Pro) has been used successfully with ABS sensors on some BMWs without impacting the operation of the ABS function. That was done with another ECU but that should not make any difference since the ECU is on the output side of the circuit. However, I don't know if your ABS module would react the same way so you would need to do some (off road) tests if you do such an installation.

The important thing here would be to make sure you keep all the VR+ and VR- connections separate (if that's how they currently are) and keep the OEM ABS wiring as intact as possible. Whether you connect your new wires at the sensors or at the ABS module should not make much of a difference but you will want to route all wires away from noise sources and preferably use shielded wires.

Again whatever you do, perform some tests in a safe location to make sure nothing has been compromised. Brake failure could have serious consequences for you and others.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

Thanks for the info, and the warning...

Rick
Laminar
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Laminar »

Rickster-

Were you able to test this theory? I'm interested in doing the same thing - maintain the vehicle's stock ABS but tapping into one of the front wheels for my VSS2 signal in order to enable traction control.
Last edited by Laminar on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

Not yet. I did run separate wires to the MS and traction control for each of the 4 sensors though. I won't be able to get this project on the road until mid/late summer 2015. I need to verify ABS functionality first, get the final tune done, then I will play with TC.

Rick
Tcgrmt
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Tcgrmt »

Rick,
Did you ever try this out?
Rob
zazzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by zazzn »

I just captured my ABS front VR sensor on my MS3 using the PNP 7m-gte MS3 which uses the pro module and has the VR conditioner.

It needed a resistor to now trip the stock ABS computer as I stole the signal and shared it. If I did not use a resistor it would trip the ABS computer.
Canyonfive
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by Canyonfive »

zazzn wrote:I just captured my ABS front VR sensor on my MS3 using the PNP 7m-gte MS3 which uses the pro module and has the VR conditioner.

It needed a resistor to now trip the stock ABS computer as I stole the signal and shared it. If I did not use a resistor it would trip the ABS computer.
Can you draw a basic diagram? Im assuming it was, wired in parallel with the 1000k resistor between the Vr+ and Vr- going to the megasquirt.

Also which + and - did you wire into in the megasquirt?
zazzn
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by zazzn »

whoa, not a 1000k more like 10k.

See the pic below, in my case, i added it after the stock computer got it's signal
Attachments
vss.png
vss.png (233.21 KiB) Viewed 299 times