Gear detection

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Gear detection

Post by chips60bug »

Hey, I am looking into building a gear detection setup in order to know MPH and gain other features available with a speed input. I noticed today when I selected "analogue" under METHOD on the gear detection menu that all of the gear ratio options other than final drive ratio grayed out. Why is this? Is there somewhere else this info is input other than MLV? Is it not enough to know what gear I am in to calculate mph and such? I was really hoping that I could get away without a VSS on this old VW if at all possible. What am I doing wrong?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Gear detection

Post by grom_e30 »

i have vss going in and it calculates the gear for me but i dont think its possible with current f/w to input the gear ratios and use them to calculate the speed from gear and rpm.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I am trying to go the opposite way. Trying to calculate mph from gear. I have switches that will tell the ecu when i am in each gear.
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

I dont think that is possible
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I wonder if it is actually impossible though? Is this something that could be added to a firmware release if not available yet?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

Saw that earlier today. Seems to have been ignored. That is the reason i posted here today. Hoping this will get some attention this go around.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

chips60bug wrote:Saw that earlier today. Seems to have been ignored.
I'd not seen that before.

Given clutch or convertor slip possibilities, estimating wheel speed from engine speed is often going to be a pretty poor estimate.

What are you trying to do with the speed? If it is for logging purposes, then you can add a custom field in MegaLogViewer to calculate it yourself.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
chips60bug
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by chips60bug »

I have no immediate plans for the speed info. Although boost vs speed type stuff might be nice. I do however now realize that the info would be pretty easy to skew, ie. Sitting at a light, clutch engaged, transmission in gear...coasting in neutral. Maybe i'll just bite the bullet and buy or build a vss for the thing.