Sync losses in a 99 Miata using MS3 from MSLabs

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

codrus
MS/Extra Newbie

Sync losses in a 99 Miata using MS3 from MSLabs

Post by codrus »

I have an MS3 from MSLabs/Reverant, in my 99 Miata. About every 15-20 minutes worth of driving it briefly hesitates (sometimes stalling if at idle), then sets a sync loss. The sync loss reason is always either 31 or 32, which I believe relates to the Miata cam tooth decoding? This has happened with all the software versions I've tried so far 1.2.0, 1.3.1, and 1.3.2 (currently have 1.3.2 installed). I'm using TS 2.6.01

When I generate a composite log and look at it, it shows the sync loss for 1 cam revolution's worth of events, but the pulses all look normal. There aren't any missing or extra tooth signals, and the gaps between the teeth look about right. Here's an example:

The composite log and CurrentTune are attached. The log is big, and the sync error doesn't happen in the first 100 data sets. To get TS to display the sync error, I had to edit the CSV and delete the first 300,000 lines or so.

I've checked the gap on the crank sensor and the wiring harness grounds appear to be OK.

thanks,
--Ian
'99 Miata, FM2 turbo, MSLabs MS3.
codrus
MS/Extra Newbie

Re: Sync losses in a 99 Miata using MS3 from MSLabs

Post by codrus »

Hm, I thought I'd attached the files, but I must've screwed it up. The msq file is attached here, the log is too big, so I'm linking to it here:

http://www.codrus.com/datalog/syncloss/ ... -error.csv

--Ian
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

did you have a reason to need the noise filtering on?
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
codrus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by codrus »

These are the noise filter settings under the Ignition menu? Those settings are the same as they were in the base map I got from Reverant, I don't know what the norm is for those settings on a 99 Miata.

I appear to currently have it enabled for the crank and disabled for the cam. Are you suggesting that I turn it off for the crank, or on for the cam?

A friend and I were testing it over the weekend and captured a bit of noise on the cam/crank lines. This is around the time of the sync loss, but probably not the precise event. Is there a signal that the MS3 strobes on a sync loss that I can trigger on?

thanks,
--Ian
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

id say try turning the filtering off, im wondering if it maybe caused a real signal to get filtered out.
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
codrus
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by codrus »

Turning off the crank filtering caused the car to run extremely poorly, it barely even started. Turning on the cam filtering made no difference to the sync losses.

thanks,
--Ian