LEDS suddenly remain lit

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

dwafford
MS/Extra Newbie

LEDS suddenly remain lit

Post by dwafford »

MS3/MS3X. I've been working through setup, and today something weird happened. When I turn on the JImStim, the fuel pump LED now remains lit, rather than on for a couple seconds then off, and the outer two case LEDs are lit. And now, when connected to my laptop through the USB cord, the laptop still says "Not Connected." I've been making some jumper wire and proto area changes (mostly for GM MAF and Knock module), but I'd swear I had it switched on and functional since the last changes I made??? Thanks for any help.
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Re: LEDS suddenly remain lit

Post by jsmcortina »

Try reloading firmware.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
dwafford
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by dwafford »

James, thanks for the suggestion, but I can't reload the firmware - my computer does not recognize that the ECU is connected. Since having a properly-functioning ECU (at least as far as hooking up and setting up configuration goes), I've made the following hardware changes:

*Installed the knock module with PS2 wired to 4th pin on MS3 card and K1 wired to JS4
*Installed a jumper wire from a 1K resistor to 5V in the proto area to the VRIN pad, with the TACHSELECT pad still jumpered to VRIN - I was confused whether this needed to be done - it is the setup instruction for optical sensor. I am wiring up for Optispark crank and cam signals. I tried removing the wire jumper from the resistor/5V - but nothing changed.
*Wired in the proto area according to the diagram you had posted for using Optispark - SPR3 to JS10 through a 1/8W 1K resistor, and bridging across that juncture in the proto area from 5V to GRND through two diodes.

When I switch on power through the JimStim, the fuel pump light stays lit, the outer two case LEDs are lit, and when I connect to my laptop, Tuner Studio doesn't see the ECU - it still says "Not connected."

As always, I appreciate your help very much. If you have no suggestions for correction, can you tell me someone here in the states to whom I could send the unit for diagnosis and correction? I think I'm at the limits of what I can do. Thanks again,

Dan
Matt Cramer
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Matt Cramer »

Can you reload firmware if using the boot jumper?

If you power it up with the boot jumper in place, does the fuel pump LED stay on?
Matt Cramer -1966 Dodge Dart slant six running on MS3X