Fully sequential - firing order and wiring

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Fully sequential - firing order and wiring

Post by Rickster »

I think I already know the answer to my question, but I want to ask first before I re-do my wiring.

I am running fully sequential fuel and spark via MS3X. I was poking around tuner studio and noticed that I had the ability to set the firing order once I set it to use full sequential. I (blindly) assumed that this would allow me to set the order in which the coils/injectors fired. So, I wired the coils and injectors in the same order as the cylinder numbering thinking it would make it much simpler to set the firing order once I got to setting up my project. So I wired cylinder #1 to injector/coil A, cylinder #2 to injector/coil B, cylinder #3 to injector/coil C, etc..

Reading through the documentation today it sounded like the MS3 ignores this for the coils and simply fires them in sequence (A, B, C, D, etc...) irregardless of what the firing order is set to in TS? I read also that the firing order settings are only used for the injectors? Why would that matter for fully sequential? The injectors would/should always fire with their respective coil...shouldn't they?

This just seems kinda backward to me if this is indeed how it works (and is a bit misleading at first glance).

Will I need to re-do my wiring to resolve this?

Thanks,

Rick
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: Fully sequential - firing order and wiring

Post by dontz125 »

I agree it's a bit confusing, but here's my understanding: The main channels fire in sequence A-B-C-D, and it's up to you to hook them up to your cylinders 1-3-4-2. Where the cylinder labels come in is for your TRIM tables; declaring that channel D goes to cylinder 2 means that trim table #2 adjusts what happens to cyl #2 on channel D, and declaring that channel B goes to cylinder 3 means that trim table #3 adjusts what happens to cyl #3 on channel B.

If you have the wrong channels going to the wrong cyls, you'll have to ask yourself if you can live with it. If you can't, you'll have to rewire.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

Always wire injectors and coils according to your firing sequence as they will always fire in sequence A-B-C-D... The firing order input is, as Don says, for assigning the trim tables to the correct output; it has no impact on the output firing sequence for either the injectors or the coils.

So you indeed need to re-do your wiring.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
Rickster
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Rickster »

I see, not much sense running sequential if you don't have the firing order correct. Guess I'll be revising my wiring harness tomorrow...

Thanks for the explanation.

Rick
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

So to be clear, if you have this firing order;

1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8

you wire like so for injectors and coils;

A - 1
B - 3
C - 7
D - 2
E - 6
F - 5
G - 4
H - 8
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Correct.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems