Auto blip for down shifts

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

youngfg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Auto blip for down shifts

Post by youngfg »

Can the throttle be auto blipped for down shifts?

From what I have seen implemented by others, is if the clutch and brake are depressed above a certain speed the ECU blips the throttle open.
I would be happy if I could get the engine rpm to raise the entire time the clutch and brake were depressed, but only above a certain speed, I would imagine it wouldn't be to nice to be setting still with your foot on the clutch then you press the brake and the engine revs to 3000 rpms.

In the MS3 I already have VSS, and a clutch pedal switch, I can add an input for the brake switch, I will make a bigger IAC if necessary to make the engine rev high enough.
Maybe there is a way to use the programmable on/off and the AC idleup function to do this?

Any ideas on how to go about making this happen?
JoseMiguel
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Auto blip for down shifts

Post by JoseMiguel »

That would be a nice feature but you have to remember that the oems that do this use their electronic throttle body...

Your biggest problem would be finding a iac valve fast enough to be useful and with enough flow to be able to accelerate even on high rpm
Nightstalker1993
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by Nightstalker1993 »

You can always use an auto-blipper. This is what they use with flappy pedal sequential boxes'

http://www.proshift.com/proshift_throttle_blippers
billr
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by billr »

Gotta ask, what good would this do if you aren't using the brakes during a downshift? You would have to have two different throttle-foot patterns for downshifts, one when braking and one (the long-used one) for not braking that can also be used fine when braking. Just more confusion for the vehicle driver, why bother?
youngfg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by youngfg »

This is for a race car, I can't think of when you would down shift with out braking, you are supposed to be accelerating, or braking, no coasting.
I use this car for amateur endurance racing, several of my drivers can't heal toe downshift at all.
I am not looking for Ferrari perfect auto blip down shifts, just anything that would lessen the jolt of letting the clutch out with the engine at idle would be a help.
pyropete125
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pyropete125 »

Has anybody gotten this to work? My application would be a road race car also.

If it cant wirk through the ms3, I was thinking about doing something al9ng this with a daisy chain brake to clutch to a relay that just grounds the iac. Would a ground mess up the ms output? Meaning if I had this theoretical relay that would send a ground signal to the iac would/could it back feed Into the MS. Would a diode fix that? If so what size/direction would it be installed?

Thanks
Pete
89 xr4ti MS2extra- RIP
944T track car MS3pro
Soon 924S lemons racer
65 fastback still carb'ed
youngfg
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by youngfg »

I did get it to work in a round about way.

I used the AC idle up option to make the engine rev, with my IAC I could get the engine up to about 3000 RPMS.
I triggered the AC idle up input with a programmable output.
The programable output went true when the clutch and brake were pressed and the vss was above 25 MPH

This setup worked pretty well, especially for drivers that couldn't heel and toe down shift, they didn't notice anything they just shifted smoother with it.
pyropete125
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by pyropete125 »

Smart. I am going to try this because the 944 transaxle and cv do not like to lock up on downshift. Our other lemons drivers have not quite mastered the heel toe.

Thanks
Pete
89 xr4ti MS2extra- RIP
944T track car MS3pro
Soon 924S lemons racer
65 fastback still carb'ed