Engine dies sync lost reason 2 after firmware update (solved

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Engine dies sync lost reason 2 after firmware update

Post by PUMPISH »

Any ides anybody?

I could not use my car for 2 month now and it is big problem to me.

Next week it is last dragrace for this year and I allready missed all of them this summer becuase of ECU

I gotta do something.

To change ECU to VEMS or others? Or if it is better choose for more realible vr circuite? Any difference between v3.0 and v3.57?

I realy dont want to give up Megasquirt after I been running it less 2006 and I realy love Tuner Studio but I do realy not have other choice?
I realy need my car ruuning...
racingmini_mtl
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by racingmini_mtl »

If you want to use a different VR conditioning circuit, there are options. This is one of them: http://www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/v2_1.html. That board uses the same circuit being used on the V3 Microsquirt and the MS3Pro.

The MS3 hardware documentation also gives you an alternative VR circuit. Search for LM1815.

Jean
jbperf.com Main site . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . jbperf.com Forum
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

The last composite log you posted shows false triggers on the crank signal.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

jsmcortina wrote:The last composite log you posted shows false triggers on the crank signal.

James
Yes and if I activate noise filter it shows that it is 57 teeth.
Last log I dont use noise filter.

If I use noise filter and get reset at about 5000rpm then the engine just dies and I lose connection with tuner studio.
If I dont use noise filter then it is just rpm drop at 5000 rpm

Without 22k resistor on the signal line i get rpm drop at 3000rpm both idling and under the load. (with my second ecu)

My first ecu get reset all the time at 3000 rpm.

So thats why I wanna try other vr circuite becuase 2 ecus, 100% the same behave so different.

I am just very worry that I have 3 clients MS3x install with a the same setup and same engine to do and I can not even get my own car running :lol:
Last edited by PUMPISH on Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

racingmini_mtl wrote:If you want to use a different VR conditioning circuit, there are options. This is one of them: http://www.jbperf.com/dual_VR/v2_1.html. That board uses the same circuit being used on the V3 Microsquirt and the MS3Pro.

The MS3 hardware documentation also gives you an alternative VR circuit. Search for LM1815.

Jean

Thanks

I thing I got to do it because i dont think the problem is outside the megasquirt, I have realy tryed to change everything
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

I've been at the track today and a couple of datapoints.

A friend/customer of mine runs MS3/MS3X/V3.0 using the standard un-modified circuit. 60-2 wheel, standard Vauxhall sensor. Pulls through to 7200 RPM at 300kPa. No problems.

Another racer (on a different system) was earlier having massive problems because the distributor tach pickup leads were adjacent to the plug leads. During cranking it was showing 12000 RPM.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

by the way, I think VEMS use LM1518 and I have never seen vems with a trigger issues
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

I talked to a friend working at vems and they do use lm1518

He told me that he solved most of the vr trigger issues by adding 1k resistor between VR sensor signal and ground wire

What do you think about that?
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

jsmcortina wrote:I've been at the track today and a couple of datapoints.

A friend/customer of mine runs MS3/MS3X/V3.0 using the standard un-modified circuit. 60-2 wheel, standard Vauxhall sensor. Pulls through to 7200 RPM at 300kPa. No problems.

Another racer (on a different system) was earlier having massive problems because the distributor tach pickup leads were adjacent to the plug leads. During cranking it was showing 12000 RPM.

James
I see

Yes it worked great for me too last summer, runnung 8500rpm and 400kpa
Thats why I dont understand what happening now
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

i think I know what it is, or i HOPE that i know what it is, I will try it tomorow.
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

I started to tear up the wires and discovered a short circuit on one injector connector.

Do not want to risk in case there are more shorts in the harness so I've stripped away all the electricity and reinstall everything from scratch
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

Now I made completly new harness, new battery cables and everything and each wiring is new!

Stil the same problem! I can rev at the idle but I get rpm drop and sync loss 2 at the load at 4000 rpm.

Now everything is new!The onbly thing i did jnot change is my VAG 115D coils.
Coils is about 2 years ols and i run them thoght the pnp circuit.
So now I ordered new coils, this is the only thing I have left to do.

This is just sick...
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

update:

I got new VAG R8 coils.
It is much better, and it even works till the engine and coil get get warm.

First try I thought that the problem was gone, I accelarate 2 times and the issue was back!

But now I can rev allmost 6500-7000 at the load before I get sync loss 2.

Then every 3third try the engines dies when I get sync loss but I stil online on tuner studio and I stil have good RPM and duty cycle and it looks like the engine is running but the coils not fireing.
So i got to switch to neutral gear and restart the engine.

So something happens that coils getting crazy .

So i dont think it is VR signal problem, it just get sync loss 2 because of the coils.

Even if I rev at the idle I can rev up to 8200 (revlimit) without problem but if I keep rev limit a few seconds and kpa getting up then the sync loss come
Peras
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Peras »

I had the same problem on Audi, it was working for 2 years and than it started to loose sync - reason 2: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=50408

I've tried everything and didn't get it fixed. Finally I replaced LM2904 with TLC2272IP and all problems went away. Now the car is boosted with 3+bar and works like a charm.
Now I build all my MS units with TLC2272IP. If you cant find TLC2272IP in Sweden, I'll send you one ;)
When in doubt, flat out...
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

Peras wrote:I had the same problem on Audi, it was working for 2 years and than it started to loose sync - reason 2: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=50408

I've tried everything and didn't get it fixed. Finally I replaced LM2904 with TLC2272IP and all problems went away. Now the car is boosted with 3+bar and works like a charm.
Now I build all my MS units with TLC2272IP. If you cant find TLC2272IP in Sweden, I'll send you one ;)

Oh thanks!!!
I realy hope this will solve my problem before I get at the mental hospital.

But this is realy sick that it works for 2 years and then just stop working hehe
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

check at this log, this just crazy.
Last sync loss nr 11 i switch to neutral gear and rev to the rev limit and just keep it at the rev limit.
It starts building boost up to 150-160 kpa and then sync loss come and the engine just dies, coils just stop firering but the rest just look normal, it looks like the engine runs normal. Then you see I restart the engine at the end of the log.

This is crazy, coils do something that ECU gets crazy and kick something back to the coils so the coils stop fireing.

Most intressting that the car was running just great for 2 years. Just dont understans what happened after 2 years ?
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

Peras wrote:I had the same problem on Audi, it was working for 2 years and than it started to loose sync - reason 2: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 01&t=50408

Sorry we have no TLC2272IP in sweden so I can buy one from you and pay the fastest shipping if its possible because I have race next friday. :)

What country are you from?
Last edited by PUMPISH on Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
dontz125
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by dontz125 »

Doing a quick search of the forum, the LM2904 is a known problem. If you can't get a particular part as a replacement, any "rail to rail" op amp should greatly improve / solve the problem.
Temporarily shut down - back soon!
QuadraMAP Sensor Module -- PWM-to-Stepper Controller -- Dual Coil Driver
Coming soon: OctoMAP Sensor Module
TTR Ignition Systems
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

dontz125 wrote:Doing a quick search of the forum, the LM2904 is a known problem. If you can't get a particular part as a replacement, any "rail to rail" op amp should greatly improve / solve the problem.

oh thanks! I will try to find some similar one
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

the only I could find in sweden is MCP6002-I/P but the temp range is up to +85 C and TLC2272AIP is up to +125C.
So it feels like better to order TLC2272AIP from the UK.

I even found the thread teh guy test them and TLC2272AIP seems like has best results:

http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04#p362573

What do you guys think about that?