Sync loss at start up, then comes good

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Sync loss at start up, then comes good

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Over the past couple of weeks I've been chasing a non starting issue, which I have now corrected but another issue has appeared.

When the motor starts, it losses sync, so runs like a chaff cutter, but after a while it all changes and the idle settles and full sync is regained. If however you turn the motor off and start it up after a couple of minutes, its does it all again.

I have included a data and composite logs of the initial start up (1st two attachments) and of the smooth running so you can see what's happening.

Some months ago, when I fired the motor up for the first time, there were syncing issues but after adjusting the pots all signals were clean.

My queries are, if sync is being lost, how does it suddenly come good without any changes being made? Also does the crank/cam signals clarity vary with the tune or firmware being used.
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Re: Sync loss at start up, then comes good

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Here's the smoothed out logs
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

To add a bit more info, I've today discovered that even when the motor gets over its grumpiness, and idles smoothly, it again looses sync when rpm's get to 1300 or there abouts.

Again, is the loss of sync variable from tune to tune or something else I'm missing
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

you have noise on the crank signal an extra tooth showing up very close to a real one on page 20 of the second composite log
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

what firmware are you running?

have the same issue running 1.1.x firmware
PUMPISH
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by PUMPISH »

If you remove the cam sensor connector then it starts well?
grom_e30
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by grom_e30 »

PUMPISH wrote:If you remove the cam sensor connector then it starts well?
that wont work with non missing tooth wheels it has to have the cam signal
1990 bmw 320i daily driver with m20b25 ms3 sequential fuel, 380cc injectors, d585 coil near plug, home made cam sync, launch control, fan control, vss, homebrew egt logging what's next????
1uzfevolvo
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by 1uzfevolvo »

Currently running lastest release of 1.4 alpha but have tried earlier versions as well.

In the past I have adjusted the pots to clean up the original cam and crank signals and I thought that was it but it would appear I need to make further adjustments. Can they be adjusted whilst the motor is running in order to see what works and if the adjustment cleans up the starting will this also address the syncing further up the rev range?
1UZ-FE Volvo 282
CoP Sequential MS3x