Cam sensor issue at high rpm

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Cam sensor issue at high rpm

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

On my bike I was told that with a missing tooth on the crank wheel the only time MS3pro looked for a cam signal was at start up or if a crank signal should fail it would go back and look for a cam to re-sync for sequential.

On the bike if I have the cam sensor pluged in it starts, syncs up and runs fine, until I hit above 11,000rpm, it will then set a sync los, shut the motor off and re-lite. So if I unplug the cam sensor it runs fine in non sequential and I can rev it to over 12,500 and no problems.

Just need to know how it works to diagnose the issue, and would also like to know for future installs.

Jeff
Fastest MS powered vehicle on the planet ! 6.60@208mph
93supercoupe
Master MS/Extra'er

Re: Cam sensor issue at high rpm

Post by 93supercoupe »

I THINK it works exactly the opposite of that. I think it will start off just the crank signal in batch fire and switch to sequential and look for the cam once running. I would assume the reason you can rev it to 12.5 with no cam sensor is because it is indeed in batch fire and doesnt need the cam.
BootlegTuned
jsmcortina
Site Admin

Post by jsmcortina »

93supercoupe wrote:I THINK it works exactly the opposite of that. I think it will start off just the crank signal in batch fire and switch to sequential and look for the cam once running. I would assume the reason you can rev it to 12.5 with no cam sensor is because it is indeed in batch fire and doesnt need the cam.
Almost.

With "dual wheel with missing tooth" it starts for the first few revs without the cam, them synchronises to the cam also. Then... after that it shouldn't be paying any attention to the cam.

I need to think some more about Jeff's problem to see if I can figure out how it could occur.

James
I can repair or upgrade Megasquirts in UK. http://www.jamesmurrayengineering.co.uk

My Success story: http://www.msextra.com/forums/viewtopic ... 04&t=34277
MSEXTRA documentation at: http://www.msextra.com/doc/index.html
New users, please read the "Forum Help Page".
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

Hmmm ?
jeffmarsh750
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by jeffmarsh750 »

So i am going to test some new VR sensors this weekend (if weather holds out). Sounds good in the shop and the green light says it's fully sync'd. Even if I unplug the cam it still says sync'd. Maybe since the cam sensor is so close to a coil it is getting noise into the circuit. I'll run the bike with it hooked up and new sensor, if problem returns I will start it and unplug it to see if problem occurs with it un plugged.

Is there a way to on board data log fully sync'd mode ?

Thanks, Jeff