EDIS not behaving

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

unplugged
MS/Extra Newbie

EDIS not behaving

Post by unplugged »

MS2 ver. 3 . HALL RPM Sensor
Installed on a 1981 Fiat Spider
Background. Last summer car ran mostly great (first year of install). Some stumbles around 5500RPM was still troubleshooting.
This summer while driving car would just turn off like a light switch for a few seconds and then bump start itself and be ok for a while. I thought it was happening when I hit a bump but was not 100% sure.
I checked all connections. When moving the wires around the EDIS module / coil the car shut down so I focused on that area. Spark plug wires (Home made and not great connectors on the coil side) did not appear to have a secure connection so I replaced them with premade wires.

I took the car for a test drive and it ran great for about 30 minutes then lost spark on 2 cylinders.

During various testing scenarios I have swapped out the coil pack and edis module. At some point the 25uM filter capacitor between coil 12V and ground shorted out. I removed it to what appeared to be no detriment.

Currently:

The first coil will still only fire on half the bank. Resistance test on both sides of coil show identical resistance.
when running new coil all 4 cylinders will fire but using a timing light the spark is very erratic. And after a minute or 2 car will just shut off like a light switch. Usually starts up OK and then we repeat.
I have disconnected the SAW input with no effect.

I rewired all of the power leads, installed a new ground strip and reinstalled a new Capacitor to Ground.
I am running out of ideas of what to look at next.
2 Bad modules and coils seems unlikely.

Could very dirty power from a bad alternator cause enough noise to do this?
I have access to a rudimentary scope. Would just checking 12V at EDIS/Coil show if this is what is happening.
Any other thoughts of what to look at would be greatly appreciated.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: EDIS not behaving

Post by elutionsdesign »

A datalog of this behavior please.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
unplugged
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by unplugged »

Of course when I go to log it doesn't die. But timing is still erratic as is AFR

I thought if I unplugged the SAW it would settle back to 10deg BTDC in limp home mode. But is still advanced when I goosed the throttle.
elutionsdesign
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elutionsdesign »

Uplugging the SAW should fix it to 10 BTDC, or at least fix it somewhere since nothing would be telling the module to change timing. The PIP signal looks fine given the nice steady rpm signal. Your MAP seems really high at idle, vacuum leak or a big cam?

Stay focused on the wiring to the coil packs, it sounds like there is a problem there. Confirm that the timing isn't stable with the SAW unplugged.

Also, this is firmware version 2.8, B&G code, you're posting in the wrong place. Might be a good time to reload the latest firmware for the processor.
Graduate of EFI University.

I build, repair, install and tune Megasquirt systems in North Dakota and beyond!
hardline
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by hardline »

If timing is unstable after unhooking the SAW line, try reversing the VR sensor polarity.
2000 ZX2 : Sequential COP, MS3 + MS3X + TinyIOx, PWM Returnless Fuel, Flex Fuel, Variable Geometry Intake Manifold, Garrett GTX2863R .82AR housing @ 15 psi
unplugged
MS/Extra Newbie

Post by unplugged »

Thanks
I will try double checking all of the wiring and possible reversing the VR sensor this weekend.