This dead time chart is confusing

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

This dead time chart is confusing

Post by Mario »

Can someone help me decipher it... I would like to get the info into my MS3.

http://resfilter.net/files/carstuff/150124.pdf
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
prof315
Super MS/Extra'er

Re: This dead time chart is confusing

Post by prof315 »

You should be able to just plug the numbers and voltages in the graph into the MS3 dead time table and go. Of course since Accel is probably not using the same injector drivers as an MS3/3X the values are likely to be off.....
Linfert Performance/321 Motorsports
SCCA 2019 SM National Champion Crew Chief
SCCA 2023 FP National Champion Tuner/electrical engineer
100s of MS systems built installed and tuned
Support the developers!
Mario
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by Mario »

prof315 wrote:You should be able to just plug the numbers and voltages in the graph into the MS3 dead time table and go. Of course since Accel is probably not using the same injector drivers as an MS3/3X the values are likely to be off.....
Is shows a an opening/closing of 1.17/.062ms but does not say at what voltage. So I don't know how to scale the chart accordingly.
1967 Beetle My test mule
The Dub Shop
Facebook
Megasquirt for life!
elaw
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by elaw »

You've got a little work to do, but it's not too tough.

First, ignore the 1.17/.062ms thing... you're right in thinking those numbers aren't worth much without knowing the voltage. What you want to look at are the numbers in the little table located within the chart on that page.

There are two things about MS that are going to make your life a bit harder. First, the MS only uses 6 points, so you're going to have to pick 6 of the 9 points they give you. If your car is like most and generally has a system voltage between 13 and 14.5 when running, I'd suggest using the 15, 14, 12, 10, 8, and 6-volt values.

The next part is less fun... the curve entries in the Megasquirt are not in actual milliseconds, they're in percent of the opening time at 13.2 volts. So first you're going to have to compute the opening time at 13.2 volts - it looks to be about 0.6 milliseconds. Enter that number in the dead time box on the injector dead-time dialog. Then compute each of the curve point values as 100 * (deadtime at specified voltage / deadtime at 13.2 volts) and put the voltages and corresponding numbers into the correction curve.
Eric Law
1990 Audi 80 quattro with AAN turbo engine: happily running on MS3+MS3X
2012 Audi A4 quattro, desperately in need of tweaking

Be alert! America needs more lerts.