Most Affordable wireless tablet for MS3?

General support questions and announcements for MS3. See also MS3 manuals.

Moderators: jsmcortina, muythaibxr

forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Most Affordable wireless tablet for MS3?

Post by forcefed86 »

I’m not up to snuff on tablets these days. I ordered the EFI Analytics.com Bluetooth adaptor to run on my MS3x box.

http://www.efianalytics.com/products/cl ... tooth.html

I assume I don’t need a “super fly” expensive tablet to run some gauges for the MS. I want at least a 10” tablet. What would you all suggest? The older referb nexus 10” is about $200 shipped on Ebay. Is there another tablet model you all would suggest maybe? Any model have better connectivity to the above Bluetooth device? Any models to avoid?

Thanks!
Bzltyr
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Re: Most Affordable wireless tablet for MS3?

Post by Bzltyr »

I got an ASUS tf-101 that hooked up but the gps on the tablet did not work. Stay away.

I bought Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 it works great but only 7 inches. $100.00 on ebay.
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

Bzltyr wrote:I got an ASUS tf-101 that hooked up but the gps on the tablet did not work. Stay away.

I bought Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0 it works great but only 7 inches. $100.00 on ebay.
How is the 7"? How many gauges are you viewing? In your opinion would you rather a 10" or larger? Or is the 7 plenty? I've been using my phone on the dash for the GPS. I loaded MSdroid on my phone and the gauges were WAY too small for my old eyes. Which AP are you using?

Thanks!
Bzltyr
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Bzltyr »

I like the 7". I got a holder from ebay and it sits to my right as I drive. The 10" would get in the way. I can see everything and my eyes are not too good.

The gps work very well.
Bzltyr
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by Bzltyr »

I am using the Shadow Dash for android.

I have 8 gauges showing on the screen.
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

I looked at this about 6 months ago and realized you have to compromise.
I have a Toshiba Encore 8" running Windows 8.1
When I bought it it was nearly Ipad money here in New Zealand
I wanted full Tuner studio so had to be windows.
I wanted a 10" screen, but had to compromise due to cost, however the small package fits nicely inside my coat. It's a small car, so there isn't anywhere to put it other than the passenger's seat.

It works great, but is fiddly to edit some of the tables, such as accel and warm up enrichment, you need a sylis for this and still it isn't easy, once the keyboard pops up you cannot see what you did, so keyboard has to be toggled on/off a great deal.
I'm running the full LED dash and easy to read.

Patrick
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

Patrick, I have been thinking about doing it the same way. I have an older Dell Inspiron Duo that I think I will use for tuning and display. I just need to find a suitable mount.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

Here is an 11" sony on a 69 nova dash. Not sure what holder he is using but it looks huge! I think i'm sold on 7-8" at this point. I hear horror stories about the GPS not working well on some of these pads and others where the blue tooth connection is touchy.

How is the connectivity and GPS on the toshiba? Looks like I can get an 8" for about $150 shipped. Not looking to tune much, just display gauges at this point.

Thanks!
lotus23C
Helpful MS/Extra'er

Post by lotus23C »

forcefed86 wrote:Here is an 11" sony on a 69 nova dash. Not sure what holder he is using but it looks huge! I think i'm sold on 7-8" at this point. I hear horror stories about the GPS not working well on some of these pads and others where the blue tooth connection is touchy.

How is the connectivity and GPS on the toshiba? Looks like I can get an 8" for about $150 shipped. Not looking to tune much, just display gauges at this point.

Thanks!

The Toshiba connects up to a Bluetooth adapter without issue, but have not looked at GPS yet. If you aren't going to do much (any?) tuning, then will a cheaper android tablet and shadow dash fit your requirements?
Windows 8.1 tablets (Here in NZ at least) are generally at the premium end of the market. However, they'll do more, run full tuning software etc.. Mine came with full MS office and can run the CAD software we use at work, it's harder to use, but usable. So I use my tablet for my full car build, research, buying parts, drawing, tuning, photos and build diary, it was the best compromise for me without buying a Windows surface pro2.
Patrick
Currently Lotus 23C replica Audi 1.8T MS 2 v3 Sequential COP and ignition.
Lotus 7 replica 4age 20V blacktop MS2 v3
arran
Master MS/Extra'er

Post by arran »

I recently purchased an ASUS Transformer T100 touch screen, it is a 10 inch laptop and the screen detaches so it is a tablet when you want it to be. It comes with a licensed version of Office. I paid just under AUD$500. It runs Windows 8 so runs the full TunerStudio and Megalogviewer software. The Bluetooth is great, using the Bluetooth serial adapter plugged into MS I get connectivity to the car from the lounge room. The keyboard has a USB3 port so can also do the firmware upgrades and run a wireless mouse if you want to. The battery lasts forever. It has a 1368x768 resolution which is more relevant than the actual size because 1024 x 600 is a struggle with Tunerstudio, some menus run off the bottom (which is one of the reasons I upgraded from my old 1000HE netbook).

It is a great "generalist", good for general browsing of internet, tuning the car, and light work duties when needed.

Arran
RX7 Series 2 13B Turbo. Megasquirt 3 with 3X Expander and V3 CPU. Firmware 1.4.1
Knock module, twin EGT, real time clock, WBO2, full sequential fuel and spark
http://web.aanet.com.au/arran
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

I went with a cheap 9" "Dragon Touch" android pad. Should work fine as a display IMO. Even had the Bluetooth 4.0 deal and quad processor with androids latest "Kitkat". Few articles mentioned this as being one of the better android pads for under $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529566337?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the input all...
Raymond_B
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by Raymond_B »

forcefed86 wrote:I went with a cheap 9" "Dragon Touch" android pad. Should work fine as a display IMO. Even had the Bluetooth 4.0 deal and quad processor with androids latest "Kitkat". Few articles mentioned this as being one of the better android pads for under $100.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181529566337?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Thanks for the input all...
Wow $70.00, hard to go wrong there! Keep us posted on how it does.
1995 Ford Lightning. Dart based 427 Windsor, Novi 2000, full sequential, E-85, etc. MS3X/v3.57
http://www.buildpics.org/
piledriver
Super MS/Extra'er

Post by piledriver »

A decently spec'd Andriod tablet can run Linux just fine in the background, and run real TS.

I just picked up a $199 10" Win8.1 tablet for my wife, Microcenter Winbook TW100... Got the keyboard/case setup and a 64GB class 10 sdcard, all works quite well.

Have Linux ~running on it (latest Kubuntu or Ubuntu daily ~works) just needs a 32bit efi loader file... Details are on the Microcenter forums.

remaining linux/Android Issues:(is booting Linux via EFI only setup)
no touchscreen (Goodix, may be a problem)
no wifi (likely easy fix) has 1 full sized USB3 and 1microusb2 port.

Tried installing to sdcard but the installer doesn't seem to be capable of automagically creating the required EFI files, so I have just run off USB3 so far.

There is an otherwise identical 8" version that goes for $139, quad core atom 2G ram no GPS, BT works well if you turn off the power management for the BT driver.(Windows turns it off after 30 seconds otherwise) This may be the issue with many of the other units.

The 10" has a very nice, bright IPS screen, almost worth the price by itself.
The controls (on/off and volume) are on top edge of unit, feature.
Keyboard unit is a magnetically coupled "dock" not sure that the electrical connection pinout is, may prove useful.
Always doing things the hard way, MS2 sequential w/ v1.01 mainboard, LS2 coils. 80 mile/day commuter status.
forcefed86
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by forcefed86 »

Got my wireless transmitter yesterday and played with it a bit on my phone. Worked well. It even picked up my android phones GPS signal. I was under the impression it wouldn’t do that! Probably didn’t need the $70 GPS box. If I would have known this, I would have ordered a tablet with onboard GPS. Kinda bummed about that now.

I spoke with the tunerstudio guys and you can’t simultaneously run more than one Bluetooth connection with the MS3 box. So I can’t use the GPS and the Shadow dash at the same time. I also can’t tune at the same time I’m using shadow dash or the wireless GPS. I’m torn on the best way to set this up now. I’ll probably setup a wheel speed sensor of some sort and sell the bluetooth GPS. If anyone’s interested PM me. I’ll make you a deal on the GPS box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130923922629?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
mr_minnis
Experienced MS/Extra'er

Post by mr_minnis »

I got my daughter a 7inch samsung from walmart. It was $140. It does pretty good on battery and bluetooth works well. The gps works for speed. I haven't messed with it as far as fuel consumption.

I think a windows 8.1 tablet may be the way to go. you can have all the features of tuner studio and the portability of a smaller device.

some of the cheaper tablets don't come with bluetooth.
88 Stang LX Vert. 3.73s and MS3x, D585 Coils AEM EPM